The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

August 14, 2010

Vietnam draft lottery #s

I was fooling around this morning and stumbled upon the sequence of Vietnam draft lottery #s. Have you ever wondered where you would have fallen? Had I been born between 1944-50, like my dad, I was not getting drafted @ #358. My dad on the other hand was #122. He was called to take the physical. He failed due to an extra half disk in his spine (freakish).

2 Comments:

Blogger BG said...

Whoa. Sobering...i would have been drafted in 1970, 71 and 72. Yikes...talk about bad luck (for all the dudes out there that were born June 27th, 1944 to 1950). My pops was too old for Nam, and has a very minor heart condition, which excused him from Korea.

August 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM

 
Blogger MCA said...

I would have been called had I been born in the '44-'50 range or in 1955. My dad's number came up, but he had some pretty solid asthma, and was also about to graduate with an engineering degree and had a job lined up with IBM (who had plenty of military contracts), so he was exempted in a couple different ways.

I remember getting the selective service registration card in the mail after turning 18 and freaking out just a little bit. The ability to conscript citizens really is an astounding amount of power. Not that there's necessarily a better answer.

August 16, 2010 at 9:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home