The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

January 26, 2010

2009 Vikings Retrospective Volume 1: "It's In My Nature"

Still trying some rationalization techniques to explain the events of Sunday night. I'm coping by trying my hardest to just kinda "shrug" and move on and I haven't read a paper or watched Sportscenter or any local news or sports coverage (something I'm going to continue for the forseeable future.) Nice being "unplugged" or "living off the grid" as some hippies might say.

Anyway, thought I should at least begin the healing or whatever by periodically discussing the game/season/emotions from a year that Browns fans would literally kill for. I'm not expecting we all are ready for this; heck, maybe I'm not even ready (LH - I tried to listen to your voicemail from Sunday night but ended up just hitting "delete", assumed it was about the game.)

I'd like to start out my rationalization for what happened with Favre's INT and AP's fumbles by looking to that old fable called: "The Scorpion and the Frog." I'm sure you're familiar but basically the a scorpion asks a frog for a lift across a river, the frog is afraid of being stung, but the scorpion reassures him that if he were to sting the frog, the frog would sink and the scorpion would drown as well. The frog then agrees; nevertheless, in mid-river, the scorpion stings him, dooming the two of them. When asked why, the scorpion explains, "I'm a scorpion; it's my nature." I believe Favre's INT and Peterson's fumbles to be in their nature. I'm not sure what that gets me other than I guess I should have known (I did kinda know that, right?) but those plays are just in them. Do you trade those fumbles for 1,300 yards, 18 tuddies on the ground or that pick for 4,000 yards ad 33 tuddies through the air? Hard not to.

Ok, back to existing in a "news-free" environment. Expect Volume 2 in February or maybe not.

1 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

The number 1 problem with all sports movies is they are so predictible. We all new that Favre would cost us when it counted most. We talked early on about what depth of hell one would be on if your teams biggest rival now playing for your team cost your team the big game. Unlike the average crappy sports movie, we forgot the ending that we knew all along (except MCA).

I am not blaming the loss on Favre. It was just that he was the last Viking to touch the football. Many things could have changed the outcome, but the timing of the int and the penalty before it left no chance to recover.

I usually root for the team that beats my team. That is not happening this time. I hope the Colts humiliate the Saints. I don't really even care about the Super Bowl. Let's just get to Twins season.

January 29, 2010 at 7:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home