The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

January 22, 2010

A furore normannorum libera nos domine*

Friday before the big game, I'm sure you're as excited as I am. Driving around today, it's all people are talking about. At breakfast our waitress asked "So, you guys Vikes fans?" (in an accent that would make Marge Gunderson proud.) In fact, Prince has recorded a Vikings "hymnal" for Sunday's game (click here); yeah, it is kinda weird and not really "Prince" but the lyrics aren't bad and hey, Prince is a Vikes fan, love it. Whatever.

As for the game - I still like us, I like us a lot. And I also like the fact that this blog, the members of FTLOSBW, has come together and shed our negativity for a common cause (while maintaining 100% of our superstitions.) RTS - I won't text you with results good or bad, the game will be yours to watch in its entrity, you've earned that much (I'm not speaking for DTK.) Sure, Ray Edwards and Kevin Williams are battling knee issues and Percy (please, please, please, please God heal Percy) is having migraines again but I'm still feeling positive and optimistic - two emotions that I can't say I've had about this team, well, since ever. At this stage of the "game" talent usually wins out and I think we are more talented, collectively, than the Saints.

Fire it up. Fire it up, big time.

The Viking Prayer

Lo, there do I see my father
Lo, there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers
Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning
Lo, they do call to me
They bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live.
Forever.


* From the fury of the Norsemen, oh Lord, deliver us

5 Comments:

Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

I LOVE the idea that there was an actual prayer "god deliver us from the fury of the norsemen". I would put that in the visitors locker room at the dome. Vikings is just a great name We came into your village raping and pillaging and left nothing but our trash. Now pick it up so its clean when we come back.

I think we are going into this ready to play because i think we saw how bad it can be when we float in. I think they think they get crowned because theyre at home and a team of "destiny". You know what happens when you thnk you're entitled to your destiny? You get nightsticked by a mustached cop.

Im ready. Im excited. Im participating.

Envision victory.

January 22, 2010 at 12:39 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

I love this post. I will leave it at that.

BAHOOOOOOOOO!!

January 22, 2010 at 5:07 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

the horn... the horn, it was so great to be able to hear that horn last week... I need to pick myself up a propoer norseman horn between now and Sunday afternoon- where on god's green earth?

I just made the same bet with my same coworker as I did last week. I've done my part, not it's up to you BF, AP, PH, SR, CT, VS, BM, SH, JS, AH, PL, JA, KW, PW, RE, BL, CG, AW, MW, BS et al

January 22, 2010 at 5:12 PM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

I'm going to lose my f-ing mind. I don't know if i can make it 36 hours.

January 23, 2010 at 10:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/34smc78.jpg[/IMG]

_[]_
TopHat

January 23, 2010 at 3:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home