The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

January 19, 2010

Vikes get the Saints; Volume 1

In the first of what I'm sure will be daily updates, I'd like to start the conversation about the pending game. As usual, I work in "lists":

1. Before we get to the Saints, we just took Dallas behind the shed and beat the tar out of them. Think about 34-3 for a second; f'ing Jerry Jones. That feels so good.

2. The Saints - look, I'm not gonna bad mouth them, last thing I need is Darren Sharper to sign into his Blogger account ("Sharper42") and print off the front page of FTLOSBW and pin it in the locker room. I'll just say that I like us, I like us a lot.

3. Us - let's talk about 'us' the collective 'we' the 'Vikings.' Feels like a 'team,' right? Feels like everyone is pulling together in the same direction, right? The wave of momentum that started when the ball was kicked off to start the second half of that last Bears game has continued and everyone has picked up their game and focused. We stumbled during that Cowboys game from the 2:00 mark in the second quarter basically through the 3rd quarter where we had some bad penalties and bad clock management by Chilly but I love, love, love the fact we kept our foot on their throats and we scored that last offensive touchdown to Shank to keep the fire stoked.

4. FTLOSBW's "High Five of the Day" - I'm not going to go with 'x-factor' as it is over used and I'm not going to go all Merill Hoge and start talking 'factor backs' (honestly, I don't mind Hoge but it's like he trademarked 'factor back' and wants ESPN to pay him every time he uses it.) Anyway, the "High Five of the Day" goes to:
  • AP. I think this is it, this is HIS game. It's been brewing for weeks, right? You can feel it; palpable. He's coming. Purple Jesus.
For your viewing pleasure some AP Highlights:

11 Comments:

Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

Cant agree more with the AP breakout. How much is he stewing waiting to shove it down the throats of all the experts saying we can't run the ball. NO is going to have to try to neutarlize favre and when they do, Purple Jesus is going to explode on them. I mean that in the dirtiest way.

I respect the saints. but i don't fear them. I think the team we saw the last month of the season is about what they are. Sure, they can score on bad defenses. Better than most teams. But So can we. And, Sure, they can stop bad offenses. But probably less so than most teams.

I am looking for Favre to start hot, AP to roll and their "great" fans who weren't so great until they were winning to have flashbacks to the days of wearing bags on their heads. Note to the reporters who keep saying how great their fans are -- EVERY team has great fans when you win. Ask the Florida Marlins and the Arizona Cardinals.

January 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Maybe I am a post late with this but boy did it feel good to trounce the Cowboys. Being that is was the Cowboys made it so much better than if it were anyone else.

Why not us this weekend? What is so special about the Saints? We both can score and the Vikes play better defense.

I screwed up. A while ago I committed to volunteering some time for Iowa. Can Anyone guess when that time is? Yep, 5:00 ESt until 8:00 Est. I am going to do my darndest to not find a thing and DVR the game and watch it after the event. Please do not call me to say "Can you believe we are in the Super Bowl!" On the flip side if I did not say anything and if my phone were to not ring I might take this as things turned out badly. So please forget that I exist on the biggest day of our Vikings lives.

And go J-E-T-S.

January 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

Let's hope ESPN, CBS, SI et al jump on the Saints bandwagon this week. I like being the underdog.

Unfortunately, people seem to like the Vikes this week...funny how one game changes everything. We learned about this in Psych 101 and it's called the Recency effect. Our brain weighs things that happened recently with more importance than events from prior time periods. In other words, we blow out the "hot" team and we're all of a sudden the favorites, even though they destroyed AZ. That said, Arizona's defense gave up 90 points over the past two weeks.

No doubt America (the fandom) is pulling for the Saints this week. That's fine with me.

Jan - great call on AP. Even though he's a team-first guy and loves winning more than anything, you know it's killing him to NOT see his runs in the highlight packages.

Can't wait for this ballgame. We're due, right?!?

January 19, 2010 at 3:31 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

P.S. My favorite quote regarding the late TD was from Shank, when told they were talking trash about us:

"Oh really? Okay...I'm sorry. All better? Great." or something to that effect. Priceless.

Also, any word on Ray Edwards?

January 19, 2010 at 3:33 PM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

RTS- come on.

Are you doing community service for getting caught smashing in the windows at gemmy industries?

January 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

Circumstances have changed, RTS. Blood has been shed.

Things have changed. Circumstances, RTS. Beyond the, uh, acts of God, force majeure.

January 19, 2010 at 6:30 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

That just goes to show you the dangerous of volunteering... likely to miss palyoff game-hoe game I never see that disclosure on the posters?

Edwards has a mildly sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee. From what I've read he is expect to start against new orleans. I like BR as a back-up but I seriously hope RE can play at a high level- he was a monster last Sunday and we definitely need an impact from him again this week... be well Ray, be well.

January 20, 2010 at 9:04 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

RTS - Here's the problem, I now have to call you to let you know the outcome before you get home, I just do.

January 20, 2010 at 11:06 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Jan, I am not kidding, that could definitely put a crimp on our friendship.

I keep having to learn the principle don't help anyone ever over and over again.

I really hope I catch pneumonia or something to give a me a legit and responsible reason to back out.

January 20, 2010 at 2:57 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

RTS - I hope you get pneumonia but for a completely different reason. I think this is going to have to be put to the people of FTLOSBW.

January 20, 2010 at 6:25 PM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

i will be calling you too rts. you pay your taxes. you've done enough

January 20, 2010 at 6:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home