The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

January 21, 2010

Are you exicted?

Are you excited? You should be. Are you sitting at work or at home or on the crapper and thinking "I can't wait for Sunday to fill me with such joy and energy that I want to sit here and do nothing but watch coverage and read FTLOSBW blog." Do you want to paint your face and dress up in Helga horns? I do. Do you want to see BG doing acapella "Don't Stop Believin"? I do. I have to say, i am excited. and, yes, i have my hopes up. WAY up. I'm not buying the "don't get your hopes up" phoilosophy anymore. I do have my hopes up. I admit it. Why shouldn't I?

I like thinking about how great it will be to win. I like thinking about how great it will be to watch Drew Brees stare dejectedly as we celebrate. I like daydreaming about Miami and two weeks of nonstop Viking hype. I like thinking about what it will be like to feel something we've never felt as vikings fans. I don't know if I deserve it more than other people, so I figure I can at least want it more.

People need to stop trying to make life better by making sure they never expect too much out of it.

I know, people will say if you get your hopes up, they crush your dreams. I know because i've seen it for 35 years. I want to ask the "expect the worst so you wont be let down" people how that's worked out for them. Have they felt ok after all the let downs? because i never have. In fact, i've felt really really shitty after each and every one of them. so i figure I'm going to get every ounce of joy out of this rollercoaster before it stops.

I have to have faith that it wont fly off the tracks. If it does, then at least i didn't get killed waiting in line.

9 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

I am excited. Between the Hawkeyes and the Vikings, I am expecting this to be the greatest football season I have ever experienced. If the Vikings were to lose that all goes down the drain.

First on the Iowa front, it was really cool that Iowa won the Orange Bowl, but it definitely felt like a bit of a consolation prize. The ride to get there was great, but they still did not win the Big Ten and thus did not go to the Rose Bowl. So there is definitely a bigger carrot hanging out there. However, if that is coupled with a Vikings Super Bowl, the greatness reading goes off the chart. It would be tough to top the combined success of both teams in the season.

Do I have high hopes? Damn straight.

January 21, 2010 at 10:15 AM

 
Blogger LH said...

I'm excited as well- and I don't care who knows it (no one really reads this blog anyway, so I don't have much to worry about it, now do I?). Last Sunday was so much fun- how could we not want another day like that.

I'm with you dtk... godspeed AP

January 21, 2010 at 10:40 AM

 
Blogger MCA said...

Cautiously excited here, I guess. I'll continue to be the pessimist in the crowd as karmically it's seemed to work this year.

Awesome conversation on Sunday evening between my 3 year-old son and my father-in-law, huge Colts fan and proselytizer. "Who's your favorite team, Peter?" "Vikings!" "Who's your buddy?" "Daddy John!" "Who's Daddy John's favorite team?" "Colts!" "Who are you going to root for, Peter?" "Vikings!" [not giving up] "Would you like to go to a Colts game with me sometime, Peter?" "Yeah!" "Are you going to say 'Go Colts!'?" "OK, but, Daddy John?" "Yeah?" "I like the Vikings!"

I don't get this phone/texting conversation. rts, just turn off the g-d phone for a couple hours and give Dawn some backup way to reach you in case of emergency. Then you can retrieve jan's 58 texts from the course of the game later and smile at/delete them depending on the game outcome. Not following the score is just a matter of will power. If you have the ability to endure Atlanta for a decade, I'm confident you can go two hours without checking a Vikes score. Besides, you know what happened the last two times you watched the Vikings in an NFC Championship Game live, so I think DVR'ing this time around is a bold move on your part to break the string, and applaud your sacrifice and strategery.

January 21, 2010 at 11:29 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

RTS - I'm not calling you.

January 21, 2010 at 11:43 AM

 
Blogger BG said...

I'm so excited I just started humming Journey. DTK, you've convinced me it's okay to be excited. Even when I have claimed to temper my enthusiasm, I'm still crushed when we lose. As a result, I'm damn excited.

Also, I'm pretty much known as "the guy from MN who loves the Vikings" out here in California, so I've received an unprecedented number of unsolicited texts, emails and "attaboys" over the past week. I'll admit...it's fun.

MCA - keep fighting the good fight with Peter. Daddy John may use bribery such as 50 yard-line seats at their shiny new stadium in Indy, but sports fandom (in my opinion) is not something you choose. You're either born and raised as a fan of a team, or your a bandwagon guy (I know this isn't always a fair assessment, but in this case, it's true).

I've got, Hiiiiiiigh Hopes, I've got, Hiiiiiigh Hopes...sing it with me!!

January 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

i was talking to jan about the game and his head exploded. now THATS excited.

January 21, 2010 at 4:28 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

I thougt I was "the guy from MN who loves the Vikings" here in CA.... Oh well, I guess I'll just go back to my first nickname "the guy from MN who doesn't like to wear pants".


can you feel the excitement..man I wish I was at Als right now eating a $5 deluxe with a $2 premo in my hand...

January 21, 2010 at 7:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Cautiously excited here, I guess."
This MCA cat is a skirt. Getinittowinnit.

_[]_
TopHat

January 21, 2010 at 7:45 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

MCA your child shoud apply early for Duke now. Also, way to zap the fun out of our little game.

January 22, 2010 at 10:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home