The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

February 14, 2011

Vidiots

Recently, Jan asked me the name of an arcade game that we used to play. We both happen to agree that this arcade game is the greatest arcade game of all time. We started talking about the classics and were going to write a back and forth article debating the all time greats. Jan backed out due to parenting duties. It has been indicated that a lot of us are disgusted with sports, so here is something completely off-topic. A list of the greatest games of all time is nearly impossible but I have attempted the list, breaking it down by categories. Also I have added a little color as to where I spent my formative years hanging out.

Old school game- When I say old school, I am talking about games where the player beats a phase, then goes onto the next and it is basically the same level but harder. Games like Pac Man, Dig Dug and Donkey Kong fit the bill. For me the greatest is the original Mario Bros. I still play it on my MAME machine (see pic). It is better than the rest because it offers fantastic two player play simultaneously. The introduction of Luigi allowed him and Mario to flip turtles, crabs and fighter flies in the sewer together. Diamond Lake Lanes (now a Cub Foods) had this game in their game room. There was not a smokier arcade in the city. I also learned what pull tabs were playing there.

Flying/Driving game- Hands down the sit down version of Star Wars was the best. Sure the graphics were primitive compared to After Burner and Out Run, but it was STAR WARS! The unique yoke that controled the X-Wing allowed the player to move up or down at the same time as one could move left or right. The guns were also mounted on the yoke. The game was easy enough that even as a kid I could blow up a couple of Deathstars before a Tie Fighter took me out. The Chuck'E'Cheese near Southtown was my favorite spot to play this game.

Adventure game- There were a slew of these games that allowed you to venture through various lands killing 100s of bad guys on the way. Gauntlet was mind numbing with it's 100 levels and thousands of creatures (Clancy's in Edina). I swear The Avengers, The Simpsons and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were all the same game with different graphics. My favorite was the original Double Dragon. This was probably the first game I ever beat. Roaming through the urban slums, the player beat the snot out of gang members. The key to the game was mastering the elbow punch. One could floor any opponent with the move. The genius of the game was that it was not too hard and allowed the player to keep moving on while slowly draining the pockets of all tokens and change. Crosstown Arcade was the home of this beauty. My friend Bob V and I used to walk the 1.8 miles (it seemed so much farther) from his house to the arcade.

Shoot'em up game- Terminator 2 aka T2, there is no debate. There were no joysticks or buttons, just guns. The guns vibrated too. It was as close to the real thing as two white boys from the Lake Harriet area had come, at least until we were robbed at Eden Prairie Mall but I digress. Jan and I beat this game too many times to count at the Southdale arcade. He was better than I. There is one scene where a Skynet helicopter crashes into the back and front of a pick up truck. He would protect one side and I the other. If the truck took too much damage we had to start the whole scene over. When I failed to cover the truck properly, he would get so mad. He let me know it too. I secretly wonder if he tried out other people for the job. I have never seen anyone else pit out a shirt playing arcade games. That is how serious he was.

Pinball Machine- World Cup. There may be better but I have never dominated one like I owned this one. I used to play this at The Vine, a bar that was 220 steps door to door from an apartment I lived in during college. I became so good at this game that it was routine for me to leave a few free games on the machine when I walked away.

The greatest arcade game of all time:

1A- Dragon's Lair is not the greatest, but I feel the need to mention it as a close second. It was more story than game. The graphics were like a cartoon movie at a time when Pac Man was cutting edge. The game was designed by Don Bluth who was a former Disney animator and would also make movies like the Secret of Nimh. The game play is actually so simple that it can be played on a dvd player or iPhone. I remember my dad playing it at Showbiz Pizza (which would later become the formerly mentioned Southtown Chuck E Cheese) and thinking he was awesome at it. Graphics alone earn it the 1A spot.

1- Smash TV- This game was half shoot'em up and half Running Man. The idea was simple kill 1000s of bad guys as you worked your way through rooms earning cash and prizes along the way. The game was unique in that it was played with two joysticks (think Karate Champ). One joystick moved the character and the other fired in whatever direction one aimed. A player could run in one direction while shooting in another. There were so many bad guys one literally never stopped shooting. Like Mario Bros, it allowed for simultaneous two player play. At the end of a level it added up all the cash and prizes (Toasters, Cars and VCRs) collected along the way. Neither Jan nor I played a real sport in the spring, we each did some club sports, and we would head out to Southtown lanes and play after school. Rumor has it that Jan and his cousin beat this game, but I was not witness to it.

One last little bit of color into what vidiots Jan and I were, senior year we would leave during lunch and head downtown to Pops arcade and play a few bucks (DTK went too but he was not a vidiot). Pops being down on Hennepin and 6th (I think), wanted to Police off their back. They carded everyone at the door to make sure they were of legal age to have dropped out of school. You can feel the awesomeness.

8 Comments:

Blogger MCA said...

Your knowledge is impressively encyclopedic, RTS. I burned some hours at the arcades, but it doesn't look like much compared to you guys, I think. I concentrated on a couple games, got very good at them, and didn't bother with others after about age 13 or so because I didn't want the expense/didn't have the time to go through the learning curve again. I'd save that for the Nintendo at home.

Great call on Dragon's Lair. It was light years ahead of everything else at the time. Not really that great of a game, but the graphics and style itself were a sea change.

I was phenomenal at Ms. Pac-Man. Never liked the original that much, but I can still hum the Intermission tunes from Ms. and can still get past the Banana stage when I come across the game at a pizza parlor or wherever.

Also played a lot of Pole Position (and PP II, but the original was in some respects better), 1941, Galaga, and Spy Hunter. A shout out should go for Punch Out, too.

Off-topic: Jason Pflaum is a Medina guy. I stayed in his dorm room when I visited Amherst on a college visit. This just reinforces to me that things turn out better for those growing up in the district if they just go to OHS instead of Blake. Witness: Matt Bracken designing anti-poaching ecotourism vs. Jason Pflaum turning States' on a conspiracy and insider trading scam. Just teasing y'all. Sort of.

February 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Must say that it is an impressive list, historians may one day ask "what were the years 1982 thru 1992 like?" This will answer it for them.

1. T2 - yes, I did in fact get pissed at RTS when he would kill us on that level with the truck. It was so easy, he covers the front, I take the back, let's move on to the next level but it was like he wanted the cyborgs to win. Ugghghg! Makes me mad thinking about it.

2. What makes going to Southtown much more awesome (now) is the fact that The Hold Steady has a song about it.

3. Dragon's Lair was like living in the future.

4. Smash TV was all it was cracked up. It was dizzying. It was also not why I wasn't getting laid but kinda also was why I wasn't getting laid.

5. It was encouraging when we would go down to Pops during school to know that truant officers did exist. Not sure they do now.

February 14, 2011 at 2:18 PM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

Smash tv was also a mainstay, if memory serves me, of the pontillos pizza and subs, later to be Davanni's, in brooklyn center. This was also the location where a fellow, younger, blake student was pink slipped for buying a pitcher of beer with a fake id.

This was also the location where I once watched a baseball teammate and future abusive alcoholic whip a bottle through an unsuspecting patrons windshield. I miss those days.

February 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 14, 2011 at 5:07 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

If I had done a sports category, Punch Out definitely would have been #1. I could always beat the first 3 guys but I never could beat the 4th guy, Kid Dynamite.

DTK I vaguely remeber that story. You have to throw out some initials or some other tidbit like the cornerack who gave up the last TD to Deer River so I can figure out who you are talking about.

February 15, 2011 at 7:51 AM

 
Blogger MCA said...

I need an actual name to figure it out, however. I knew a bunch of the guys on the Blake baseball team, but I don't know the inside references to football games, too.

I could beat Kid Dynamite, but not consistently. You had to be ready and duck a lot because his punches came really quick. I seem to remember guessing at where he was going and throwing punches out in front of him. If I recall, the next guy (Mr. Sandman?) was easier to beat, but that was as far as I could go.

Games at which I was mediocre or never really mastered: Donkey Kong, Joust, Mario Brothers, Dig Dug. What was that one with the cubes you had to turn different colors? Q-Bix or something? I loved that game, but I had limited skill at it.

Thanks for that stroll down Memory Lane, RTS. Who else remembers Burger Time? Loved that game.

February 15, 2011 at 9:52 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Q-Bert is what you are refering to. They had that out at Wacky Fun Land (that run down amusement park on the way to Valley Fair not sure what it was really called). Anybody remeber the Saturday morning cartoon based on the video games? I think it featured Pac Man, Donkey Kong and Q-Bert.

You can get all the games mentioned via MAME. The take up very little space on a hard drive unless you download 1000s like I have. They can be played using a keyboard. I am sure most of you have better things to do though. Somewhere down the line I am going to build a virtual pinball machine. Same concept as MAME but the nerds have emulated 100s of pinball machines. MAME and Virtualpin are great ways to repurpose outdated computers.

First before I make some super ignorant comments let me acknowledge my ignorance and say I have never been involved with the preventing of a flood or sandbagging. Regarding the Fargo story on the side, aren't there permanent measures that can be taken to help quell the flooding? I mean it is the same story every year. Also why do they need to start the sand bagging over every year? Can't they use a lot of the sand bags over and over again? I mean it is Fargo, can't you just store them on the outskirts of town? The whole situation seems like starving people in a desert. Rather than bring the food out to them, how about bring them to the food. I am just saying.

February 15, 2011 at 10:25 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

I too loved Q-Bert mostly because he was weird looking and the game was a kookie board. I also was fond of centepede with that roller ball as the controller. Funny, our kids will grow up with games that they just stand in front of their tv and move and it moves the guy on the screen, kinda blows some shitty roller ball out of the water huh?

I went to a friend's 4th grade birthday party, his dad distributed video games and juke boxes and we got to go to the warehouse and play any of the games we wanted. It was crazy time. The biggest deal was Punch Out, oohh Glass Joe where has time gone?

As for the flooding - RTS you said it best. I think they should just leave the sandbags up, as you said "it is Fargo," screw storing them. It is amazing that millions of dollars of relief is going to go there to help with this, hasn't happened yet but it will. This only a couple years after downtown Fargo BURNED because of flooding - it's like 1874 up there with their backwards ways.

February 15, 2011 at 11:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home