The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

January 17, 2011

Football Armaggedon

As MCA alluded to in his comment on the prior post, the football Gods have decided to twist the knife one last time, by staging an NFC Championship game between the Packers and Bears. Seriously? This is unbelievable...the Packers barely made it into the playoffs as the 6 seed, but now appear unbeatable. The Bears, on the other hand, won the division and made the dance easily, but have no business with home field advantage. I mean, one game against a 7-9 team and now they are playing for a trip to the Super Bowl. I guess it's better to be lucky than good (see 2009 Vikings, who were way better than 2010 Bears, but had to beat a stellar Cowboy team and then play at eventual champion and national media darling New Orleans - I need to stop before I stab myself with the nearest sharp object).

The real question, however, is who to root for? Or put another way, who is the lesser of two horrendous evils? I have gone back and forth at least 10 times already...and I can't believe I am going to admit this, but I might be leaning slightly toward Green Bay, as they actually DESERVE to be in the game, after winning at Philly and at Atlanta. That said, I can't stand them, I abhor their fans, and the mere sight of their puke yellow, grey poupon helmets makes me nauseous.

This Michael Rand guy in the Strib put it pretty well, though, by saying that "to the current generation of Vikings fans, the Bears are relatively harmless" and catch lightning in a bottle every five years with ridiculous good fortune, and as such, aren't really a long-term threat. The Pack, on the other hand, with a franchise QB and good, young defense, seem poised to be great for the next 5-7 years. As such, he says to grit your teeth and "bear down" with the Bears. I'm honestly not sure what to do. What say you? (I know where MCA stands, as an Illinois resident...).

3 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Uh, seriously? the only one with an excuse is MCA being in Chicago as to why he would root for the Pack but for everyone else it is blasphemous to think of rooting for the Pack. BG, what the fuck are they putting in your Soy-non-soy-triple-esspresso-machiatos out in SF?

January 17, 2011 at 6:28 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

True...true. And the Bears will get trounced in the Super Bowl, so perhaps that would ultimately be the silver lining I need.

OK, Bear Down it is.

Where does everyone else stand? Was I briefly incapacitated?

January 17, 2011 at 6:50 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

I have to pull for the geeks, nerds are my sworn enemy. Sorry wrong argument. I guess I have to pull for the Bears. If I still kept contact with anyone from college I would have to go with the Pack out of spite. Plus the Bears have a better chance of losing the Super Bowl.

I am guessing everyone on here is pulling for the Steelers to win the whole thing. Right?

I was the one who posted the Bracken video. I did not meet him until I moved away from Chicago.

January 18, 2011 at 7:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home