The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

February 6, 2011

Superbowl Sunday is more fun for the People not in it!


I love Superbowl Sunday. As a Vikings fan, it's come to represent one of the best days of the year. A Sunday when there are lots of fun things to do OTHER than being all bothered by the game that's going on for only two (that's barely more than ONE) unlucky teams that are forced to waste a beautiful Sunday in February. There are only 52 Sundays in the whole year, so I say, make the most out of every one of them. It sure is nice to not be tied down. Here are a few things I recommend to celebrate this just another sunday sunday for all us Minnesotans.


1) Go outside and plow that driveway! Really clear away some of those corners that you've allowed to be overtaken by the winter's weekly dumpings. A two by two area by the garage isn't even visible to you and your friends? The snow owns that land now? Not any more, Old Man Winter! That's YOUR Real Estate again! Yay!!!!

2) Catch up with Family and Friends. Does it feel like the smothering blanket of family, friends and neighbors doesn't suffocate you enough the other 364 days of the year? There's still time. Take advantage and just get in a room and talk. Then just talk a little more. Maybe your aunt wants to know just a little more about your exciting job in case it's changed much in the last 6 months (it hasn't). Oh whoopeee!! ANd you know what, make it a dry weekend. Who wants to miss something interesting your cousin says about Barack Obama because you're mind is wandering from the effects of alcohol? Not me. Sakes Alive, I feel better just thinking about it!

3) Paper Mache. When was the last time you did that? Oh man. I remember some good times in Mrs. Harfleet's class. Looking back, I think she was a lesbian. See, it's already bearing fruit. Speaking of, maybe you could make a paper mache fruit basket or something. Go get em tiger! It's your day!!! Viva Le Toile Du Nord!!!

4) Eliminate unnecessary chords and cables! Do you need to have that printer cable hanging off the back of your desk? I doubt it. Just go ahead and remove it. You can always put it back. It's Superbowl Sunday! Enjoy coming back to your tangled web of power sources, Cheeseheads!

5)Connect Four! Pretty Sneaky Sis.

6) Get rid of those old pens! Don't you hate opening a drawer and pulling out a pen to write with and then, WHAMMY! It's out of ink. Shake Shake. Nope, nothing left. Now what? That was a waste of time. Time you don't have, Mr. Productive!! Get that junk out of here. Think of how great it's going to be waking up Monday morning and writing that check to your kid's daycare provider with a nice new Pen! I feel like a new man already. Minnesota Hail to thee!!

7) Try to remember what you were doing everytime the Gophers were not in a national championship game. It's hard to do, right? Your mind keeps flipping back to those two days in 2002 and 2003 in the frozen four. You can do it, though, What a trip down memory lane!

(RTS - I have not checked this because i don't want to end up on some anti-Title 9 mailing list, but I am sure maybe there's some day in the 1990's where you were watching a wrestling match, if they still have wrestling. )

Ski-U-MAH!!!!!!

8) Balance your check book! Not writing many checks anymore? Got your bills on autopay? With all this time, doesn't it seem like a waste? Go back to paper-billing. Just for this one day. Feels like you are on a crazy ride in a time machine, doesn't it? But you're not. It's just you rockin your checkbook on Superbowl Sunday!! The Land of Lakes wins again!

9) Put together a plan to take your own life. Don't execute it. But really put some thought into how it will go down. There's another NFL season coming soon (or not, if there's a stoppage) and pitchers and catchers are just days away. So there's reason to be optimistic, but also prepared. Suicide is painless, but it doens't have to be. How would you do it when Nathan comes back and gives up a walk off to the Yankees in Game 7? What will it feel like when AP fumbles away the NFC Championship? A gun in the mouth? Maybe the car in the garage -- if your garage is like mine, it has some holes so I don't know if it would work -- maybe time to patch those up, DIY-ers! Stab yourself with a commemorative 87 Twin's Pen in jan's living room? Who knows? The possibilities are endless.

10) this one's for you to fill out on your own. Go be what you want to be. Unless that's a superbowl champion, because, well...

Those are just a few thoughts. There's so many others. Make up your own. It's your day! What a time to celebrate being free!! Being Minnesotans! Being FTLOSBW!!!!!!!!!



3 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Awesome list. I did connect with Jan via email this morning so I can cross reconnect with friends and family off the list. Regarding #7, I do believe the Gophers won a national title maybe even two in the post Gable era. Obviously it never would have happened during Gable's time. Finally, regarding #9 I have a plan if it comes to that but I don't want to spell it out and have some insurance company try and screw my family out of the money they deserve by tracking down this blog and pulling out some fine print about premeditation voiding the contract, so I will keep that to myself. I already ruined the name I would use if I was on the run, Chuck Ring, by telling it to too many people while I was drinking. I am not f'ing up this plan too.

All I am really rooting for in this Super Bowl is that my numbers come up. My wife is going out of town tomorrow so I am kind of hoping for some second half loving after my daughter is in bed. If even one of those two things happens I will call it a successful Super Bowl Sunday.

February 6, 2011 at 4:19 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

I held my head in an oven for over 4 hours, only to realize I didn't turn the gas on. Wha wah.

February 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

As I told Jan via text, I just set my DVR to watch MLB network's airing of the 16th best game of all time (how crazy is that?), which happens to be game 163 vs. the Detroit Tigers. Speaking of Detroit, did you guys see the Chrysler commercial with Eminem? What a f-ing waste of $5MM. This is Detroit? Yup...still looks like a shithole.

Leave it to Rashard Mendenhall to cost the Steelers the game. No good Illini...

Now we have to listen to Peter King hyperventilate over the fudge for the next 6 months. My only comeback to fudgie fans is that most of them wanted Ted Thompson killed 3 years ago. How would you like your crow, you nerds?

I wonder what FAvre did today? He may have actually considered #9, what with all the sexual harassment charges against him and the guy who replaced him making clutch plays in the big game...

February 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home