The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

January 14, 2011

The Times They Are A Changing? Gophers beat 'Due

In the past two weeks Gopher fans have seen:
  • Devoe Joesph suddenly leave the program and transfer in his Junior year to Oregon (Devoe - I like them Ducks too, but you know you gots to sit out a year now, right? Was it that bad at the Barn?)
  • Trevor Mbawke be a dumb-ass (is there another word so fitting?) and getting arrested for violating a restraining order
  • Trevor Mbawke , upon release from jail, be a DUMB-ASS!!! by tweeting some crap about the girl who had the aforementioned restraining order out against him (note to Trevor: time to start flying straight, buddy.)
  • The Gopher's actually beat a top 10 team at home.

Note: My daughter's school is in Dinkytown, yesterday afternoon as I was driving to pick her up (in the snowy cold) I came across a number of 18 to 21 year old guys in their "Tubbytown" gold t-shirts (no jackets) getting ready to go to the game.

4 Comments:

Blogger BG said...

Jan - thank you for this post! As I drove to work this morning, I thought to myself: "time to give the Gophers hoops team a little love on FTLOSBW."

Big win last night...and really it was a must win, given their 1-3 start in conference. That said, they already played AT Wisconsin, Michigan State and Ohio State, which are likely the 3 toughest road games on the slate.

I said this to my dad a couple weeks ago: I think the half court offense runs more smoothly without Joseph. Apparently, he wanted more shots and wanted to be able to improvise a bit more, while Tubby wanted him to play within the system. Yes, he was one of the few players on the team that could create his own shot, but I say good riddance. He reminded me of Lawrence Westbrook, and as MCA said to me in late Nov.: "addition by subtraction, thy name is Lawrence Westbrook."

With respect to Mbakwe - yes, he is a moron, but I have to say that I'm glad Tubby and Maturi exercised a little common sense on this one. Did you guys see the email that broke the restraining order? It was essentially: "Hey, hope you're doing well and happy new year." Now I get it...laws are laws and shouldn't be broken. I'm just glad it was this, and not that he was stalking her outside her apartment at 2am.

Oh - and speaking of Oregon basketball, check out the court at their new arena. AWFUL! It makes their football uniforms look boring. Just google Oregon Ducks basketball floor...and be prepared to be shocked.

January 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

That floor is horrendous. It looks like the floor of the chapter room of my fraternity where who knows what liquids, chemicals, bodily fluids, mold and fungus ate through the stain. I bet the donors of tobacco road schools look at Oregon and say "new money."

I agree with everything you guys said about the Gophers because like a Rush Limbaugh listener I have no idea what is going on but I am sure you are right.

January 15, 2011 at 9:06 AM

 
Blogger MCA said...

Guys - sweet posting of the Bracken video over to the side (I'm gonna guess that was dtk?). I played baseball with that dude! He was a senior when I was a freshman, I think, and played shortstop. He was one of those guys everyone looked up to, with the sweetheart girlfriend, good looks, laid back attitude and who was never a dick. Effortless success seemed to follow him. Pretty cool to see what he's up to.

January 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

By the way, anyone else dreading the NFC Championship Game? Just one last football gods punishment for the Vikings 2009-10. I can't believe I have to pull for the Packers. That the Bears will end up with homefield through the playoffs is one of the great mysteries of all time.

As for the Gophs, I'm not surprised to see them beat Purdue, although it was certainly possible after going 1-3 to start (even if that's where the probabilities lied) and coming really close both at Wisconsin and at Ohio State, that they'd have some confidence issues. That's a pretty good team, though. They need Wisconsin and Illinois to lose some, if they want to make a move and try to finish fourth. I know the Illini have obliged, dropping one to Penn State last week.

January 16, 2011 at 1:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home