The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

February 7, 2008

This is the end, my only friend

Take a look at Johan in his new duds. Makes you sick, doesn't it? Is he worth $153M over 7 years? Is anyone worth that much except for Jonas Salk-type's? Baseball economics aside, I go back and forth, up and down, left and right on this whole thing. Sorry to see him go - knew we couldn't keep him - why didn't we make a better attempt - and on and on. But when I saw the picture of him on the news the other night, it just looks so awkward and wrong - like KG in Celtic green.

Apparently he drove a hard bargain and was ready to walk when the Mets were $5M short from what he wanted. Guess that shows he is a good negotiator. Or greedy. Or I'm just still bitter about this whole thing.

4 Comments:

Blogger BG said...

I listened to the excerpts from his press conference, and I realized that he's a lot greedier than we originally thought. That said, he sort of has the right to be at this stage.

The only statement that really stung was when he said: "This was an easy decision...as this team is committed to winning it all, and all the pieces are in place." Or something like that...ouch.

February 7, 2008 at 2:11 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

More important than all of this hand-wringing over Johan, I want to know who the sixth person voting in today's poll is. Am I missing someone, or is there an actual guest participating? Wassermelon, is that you?

February 7, 2008 at 6:52 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

I guess that is the sign of a good poll. I bet someone voted at home rather than a visitor.

February 8, 2008 at 7:44 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

No, I had the same question about the poll. We are gaining momentum people, one person at a time! Rome wasn't built in a day, just imagine how popular this blog will be in 500 to 1,000 years!

February 8, 2008 at 8:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home