The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

February 21, 2008

The sad state of the Georgia school system

Schools in Clayton County Georgia are in danger of losing their accreditaion. This would affect 52,000 students. This county's schools are doing poorly compared to other countys in a state that is consistantly ranked somewhere in the range of 45-50. Teacher Melody Israel apparently does not think there is a probelm. She says "We have great kids, we have great teachers, we have great administrators. If you come into our schools, you would see that, and a lot of times, people just hear things, and they make all of these judgments without the big picture."

Obviously not Melody! The admisitrators clearly blow goats and if teachers like you view everything as OK, then you are as bad as they are. If attendance records are being altered to make it seem like your students are attending, then they are not exactly top notch either. Seriously, how do these people have jobs? Where is the accountablity? If this were my county I can gaurantee you that I would be working to remove these administrators. Even if my kids went to private school, which they will, because I would not want people like this being paid my tax dollars.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=111388

Ironically, I can't get the spell check to work nor can I seem to copy the post to word so I can check spelling and grammar. Have a good laugh at my expense. I guess Georgia is rubbing off on me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

RTS, Georgia is a f'ed up state (at least that's what I gather from the media.) From being an apparent haven for crime (how many shootings/attempted prison breaks do you guys have a year in hotlanta?) to the water shortage to the schools being terrible to random explosions. Kind of a bizarro world. Love it that Melody thinks it's all a misunderstanding (reminds me of Kevin Bacon's character at the end of Animal House screaming "all is well! all is well" in the midst of a town riot.) Sadly I think your question about "accountability" reflects a national issue where no one is really accountable anymore (well, maybe Andy Pettitte but he had his arm twisted a little bit.) Hell, our presidents aren't really accountable ("I did not have sexual relations with that woman.")

Back to your schools. What part of the "big picture" does Melody think we are missing? Also, what happens if the schools lose their accreditation?

February 21, 2008 at 10:36 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

From my understanding, a student would have to pass a GED test in order for their diploma to count. I heard that but can not confirm that it is true.

It would appear that if/when Atlanta implodes on itself that it will be a shock to no one as well as a model of what happens with unchecked growth, lack of planning and what happens when all you get is assurances everything is OK. Maybe that is the plan of the good ol'boy network to rid themselves of the damn yankees.

February 21, 2008 at 11:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home