The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

January 6, 2010

Odds and Ends

A smorgasbord for this hump day in January:

1) Percy wins offensive rookie of the year in an absolute landslide (41 out of 50 votes). Joining Randy Moss, Sammy White (really?), Chuck Foreman and Paul Flatley as other Vikings to win the award. What a stud. I usually don't gush about Childress' decisions, but this was a great draft pick. And I have to admit, our drafts during his tenure have been relatively successful.

2) Jags and Bill are "first choices" to inhabit the yet-to-be-built LA stadium, according to an article today. The quote also mentions that this development company will not approach the Vikings, Niners or Chargers, as long as those teams "are pursuing stadium deals of their own." This is probably a big non-event, but I'm actually happy that we're not at the top of this list. The Jags absolutely have to be the top choice, given that they have a relatively crappy stadium and didn't sell out a SINGLE home game this year.

3) Gopher hoops spanked by Purdue. Not a big deal...Purdue is awesome, it was on the road. Nothing unexpected. Gophers need to start elevating their play very soon, however.

4) As mentioned in yesterday's comment section: Big Ten goes 4-3 in bowl games, beating the #7, #9, #12 and #14 teams in the nation (or something close to that). The 3 losses were by my Nerd U Wilcats in OT, by the Gophers in a 1-point game, and by MSU in a game where they were missing 14 players. Not bad. My pet peeve is the "Big Ten doesn't have speed and can't play with the elite teams in the Southeast and West" argument. Please. While we probably couldn't hang with Texas, Alabama or Florida this year, we can go toe-to-toe with everyone else. Get over it, SEC.

5) Any update on the Mauer negotiations???

4 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

BG -

1. You left AP off that list. No sure how but you did. What more can you say about Percy? Playmaker. Our version of Santonio Holmes in terms of immediate impact.

2. I don't think the Vikes are leaving but I don't know what is going to happen - State deficit is $5billion.

3. Bletch to that Gopher loss. What ever happened to Royce White?

4. Go Big Tenwelven! (ready for playing Mizzou? It's gonna happen.) Nice win, RTS. Gonna be a good football year in the RTS household.

5. Mauer - Nothing. My guess mid-February which I base on nothing at all.

January 6, 2010 at 3:22 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

BG, you must have been losing your shit at the NU Game. That was the craziest game I have ever seen. Even with a loss they represented well.

As a whole the Big Ten showed well. They were in every game and should have put to rest talk about the Big Ten being too old fashioned and too slow. After watching the Rose and the Orange Bowl, I do not need to watch a team run the option ever again. Suck it trendy offenses. Looks like the Big Ten is playing some tougher teams out of conference next fall:

http://bigten-online.com/2010footballschedule.html

Minnesota better watch out for MTSU in the opener.

January 6, 2010 at 3:26 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

Oh, right...AP! Not sure how I forgot that.

RTS - yes, that game was epic on a number of levels. We went from depression to pandemonium to depression to pandemonium to disbelief all in like 45 minutes. Definitely the wildest game I've seen in person. Overall, it was a great experience (I highly recommend the bowl trip), and like you said, I think the perception is that we represented well. Auburn came across as an athletic but undisciplined squad with a few great players, a few thugs, and a pretty mediocre coach. As usual, we came across as the over-achieving, less athletic bunch. I can't really complain.

Iowa's defense was incredible last night. The hawks should be a preseason top 10 team next fall...

Oh and yes, the Gophers preseason schedule is going to be interesting, especially since USC is coming to MN.

January 6, 2010 at 5:36 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

NU-Auburn was probably my favorite game of the college weekend (although that PSU-LSO game was entertaining do to the awful field/weather conditions)... I was pulling for you hard- loved that never die attitude of the coach and the kids... not sure about the play call at the end (I think I could have made a field goal from that distance), but I loved the chutzpah from your coach...

If I wasn't text deficient, you would have had about 1/2 dozen from me along the lines like 'WTF", "Sorry fun game though", "wait- I can't believe you're going to pull this MFer out", "I can't believe that idiot pulled on his face mask", "I think it should be legal to run into kickers", "Oh, I thought you had it- what a great freakin game to see in person!"

January 7, 2010 at 1:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home