The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

November 2, 2009

BAHOOO!!

Gents,
To kill time while we wait for what will certainly be a great photo journal and account of Jan and DTK's trip to Green Bay, I figured I'd drop in with a few quick thoughts. WOW! All the Favre drama is secondary to me...the Vikes are 7-1 at the bye and have a 2.5 game lead over the Bears and Packers in the division. Our next three games are Detroit (home), Seattle (home) and Chicago (home). I like how that lines up, assuming we get healthy over the bye week.

Secondly, not only did I like the win yesterday, I like HOW we won:

1) Going for it on 4th down in the 2nd quarter - Chilly broke from his conservative "chilly-ball" decisions and actually went for the jugular. It didn't work out, but I like the call.
2) In the 4th quarter, we actually threw a pass on 3rd and long instead of running a draw to Chester Taylor and settling for a FG (which would have put us up 8). Favre to Berrian for a TD. Game over.
3) After a disastrous 3rd quarter I said to myself: these are the games we choke. But lo and behold, we sacked up and stepped on their throats. Again, I think this is where having confidence in your QB is paramount. And the pressure on Rodgers was relentless. He could hardly walk in the 4th quarter.
4) Our return game. I love Percy Harvin. When was the last time we had a threat like him? This sure is better than the old days of Leo Lewis and Darrin Nelson returning kicks.
5) And yes, I have to acknowledge Favre. Yesterday did a lot for me personally in terms of fully embracing him. I'll never truly love Favre the guy, but I am really liking Favre the Viking QB. He was cold-blooded yesterday. The dude got booed loudly for a full quarter and simply shrugged it off by throwing 4TDs and no picks. I love that he didn't let his emotions take over, even though you KNOW he wanted to stick it up their a**es.

The bottom line is that if we don't give away that silly fumble on the squib kickoff, we probably win by 21.

Here is an email from a packer-loving buddy of mine:
"Dude...really upsetting to say the least. We've taken many losses to you guys before, but these 2 sting big time, especially this one. Its becoming clearer and clearer Favre never wanted anything to do with GB -- I guess because in his eyes management gave up on him -- which I'm really not sure I believe is the case. He checked out, never wanted to go to camp, commit to the team, etc. I'm glad he got boo'ed the way he did. It'll take a long time to get over this - hard to say when it'll ever heal. Rodgers will be OK, but we need a lot of help for sure."

Looking forward to the full report from Jan and DTK, but truly enjoying this one. I don't think we've swept the fudge since 1998 (I could be wrong, though).

3 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

The multimedia presentation may be a few days in coming so in the meantime "FUCK YEAH!"

November 3, 2009 at 10:22 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Regarding Percy Harvin, from a return standpoint I would say the last legit threat was Double Deuce. Probably not as good as Harvin but pretty darn good. Before that I would have to say Buster Rhymes.

I have to say between my two football teams right now, seasons like this just do not happen. I am just sitting back and enjoying the ride right now.

November 3, 2009 at 11:38 AM

 
Blogger MCA said...

Sorry I've been out of touch lately, gents. No excuse, really. It's not like work's that busy. I guess I just wanted to avoid the last thread like the plague once it devolved into politics.

Anyway, I once again have to say that as much as I can't fully enjoy pulling for him, Favre has been really impressive, and made me realize how behind the curve the Vikes have been in for the last, oh, 30 years, terms of having a QB who knows what the hell is going on on the field and can do something about it.

Let's also give credit where it's due to the offensive line. Face it: Favre's old and frail and not speedy. But those guys are giving him all day to pick apart opposing defenses.

Now I don't know if the defense is good enough for this team to make the Super Bowl. Although, one has to wonder, is it the defense, or is it Frazier? The line is excellent, the linebackers are stout, the secondary is average to a little better than average when Winfield's there. Are we giving up too many second half yards and points because the coordinator's afraid to keep his foot on the pedal?

November 3, 2009 at 4:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home