The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

October 2, 2009

Metrodome Memories

http://www.twinkietown.com/2009/10/1/1065331/saying-goodbye-to-the-metrodome?ref=yahoo

I saw this article on the side of the Delmon Young posting. I thought maybe we could all share some memories of the Twins/ baseball in the dome (did that sound too gay?).

5. The original writer did it, so I will too. Due to the Halloween snowstorm of '91 we got to play two football games in the dome. Just like the late 80's Gopher football teams, we ran out of the the tunnel to an empty stadium. The other game we came out of the Twins dugout. There is my baseball tie-in. I still have a bitter hatred of Deer River.

4. I was able to go to the activities the day before the 1985 All Star Game. My childhood hero, George Brett, participated in the old format of the Home Run Derby. I still have the program.

3. After the Twins won the '91 series, those of us watching the game at Jan's house immediately went downtown and celebrated outside of the Dome. It was an incredible scene. We will not talk about how that night ended as that could be a blog posting of its own. Let's just say that FOB ER, cops and guns were involved. I still have twitches from the cop pointing his gun at my head.

2. ER's dad hooked the two of us up with tickets to game one of the 2002 ALCS vs the Angels. It is the only baseball playoff game I have attended. They won. I still have the plastic beer cup that says ALCS.

1. I went to my first professional sporting event with my grandfather and dad. It was the second Twins' game played in the dome. Hrbek hit a HR but the Twins lost 8 or 9 to 1 to the Angels. I still have the stub.

3 Comments:

Blogger MCA said...

Well, maybe we should save the post mortems for a few days. I give up. I believe.

After the season's over, remind me to tell the story of a hair pick, a stolen car, and the 1985 All-Star Game at the Humpdome, though.

Also: Fucking Badgers. Fuck you. Fuckers.

October 3, 2009 at 11:09 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

Why do the Badgers simply own the Gophs...so frustrating?!?!

Great ballgame today, and it was suprisingly Fox's national game of the afternoon, so I saw most of it...and Blyleven called the game next to whomever the main Fox broadcaster is (not sure).

Great dome memories:

1) Game 6 of the 1987 Series. I think Hrbek had a grand slam, but my memory is pretty foggy on this one.
2) Game 6 of the 1991 series. No explanation necessary of this one. I just remember standing on my seat for 30 minutes after the game...screaming out my lungs.
3) Final Four, 1991, Duke vs. Michigan.
4) Sweet 16, 1989 - flying Illini vs. Syracuse (with Derrick Coleman)
5) 1999 NFC Championship Game (oh wait, scratch that one).

I've also been to a ton of Vikes and Gophers games there, but none really stand out as particularly memorable. I'm thrilled both the U and the Twins got new parks. It was time.

But before we go, let's have another playoff series at the dome, baby!! C'mon Pavano! C'mon Danks!

October 4, 2009 at 12:30 AM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

rts - i remain haunted by the horrifying loss to deer river in 1991. I think everyone on this blog probably remembers that fateful night and the state championship that the blake bears let slip through their fingers (literally) on a fourth and goal from the five. I hope deer river has since been destroyed in a flood and or fire or one of those weird wind storms that happen in the boundary waters.

as bad as that building is - and its really bad - its hard to control the excitement and the flood of memories when you see 52,000 people in there for a bseball game going absolutely nuts. Its awfulness has been a blessing to our baseball team, and i suppose thats been a blessing to us. i think of it as an awful friend that serves as your wingman but then cockblocks you for your own good. You hate him and want him to die, but you also appreciate not having crabs. And you still call him the next week because you have nobody else to go out with. So, to you, HHH Metrodome, i say RIP and good riddance. And I'll call you next week for one more beer.

October 4, 2009 at 11:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home