The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

August 5, 2008

What if Favre becomes a Viking

In my lifetime I have really only followed two sports teams: your Minnesota Twins and the Minnesota Football Vikings. Sure, I got swept up in the KG years with the Woofies but I was more like some Hollywood star who shows up at Lakers' games during the playoffs than I am an "triangle offense" guy. And yes, I follow hockey, more at the college level than the pro level but that's more because I live in Minnesota and it's part of our everyday life. But baseball, with it's long march and enough stats to satisfy even the Lambda Lambda Lambda's, and pro football, with the violent hits and sweet finesse plays, have been my sports and the Twins and Vikes have been my teams.

Recently, rumors about one of my teams has left me stunned - Brett Favre is coming back to the NFL and is going to be wearing Purple and Gold. You see, for the past 16 years I have watched my Vikings battle the likes of one Brett Lorenzo Favre (yes, that is his middle name, I looked it up, I always hated the name Lorenzo.) For the last 16 years I have had to hear it from every cheesehead motor-mouth drunken Sconny how awesome Favre is. For the past 16 years I have had to hear everyone from John Madden to Chris Mortensen to Peter King talk like 8th girls about their man-crush for Favre. And for the past 16 years I have had to quietly sit waiting for Favre to retire so that the Packers can once again suck. Last March, when Favre finally hung them up, I watched Packer's fans as they cried in the Schlitz (douchebags) and everyone was lauding his career for weeks on end like Ghandi had just been laid to rest. I, on the other hand, did a little jig. While I don't have his career numbers against the Vikings, I would imagine it to be around .500 or a little better (parity does reign in the NFL especially when you play a team twice a year), and it's not so much that he “worked” the Vikings year in and year out or that there is a particular play that stands out in my mind as the ultimate "Vikings-killer" it's just that I was tired of Favre; I was "over him" and ready to move on.

Fast forward to Lorenzo's unretirement/reinstatement/24x7 media coverage and the indications that Favre wants to be a Viking and my utter shock. The thought of having to root for him suiting up in the Purple and Gold absolutely kills me. What I can't wrap my head around is that all of my fellow Vikings supporters think this is a good idea. Forget the fact that he is 39 years old or that Childress has been grooming TJac for the better part of 2 years to take the helm of a 'loaded' Vikings team, this is Brett Favre. Some might cite the old adage "don't cut off your nose to spite your face" well, you know what, fuck the nose, go ahead and cut it off. Watching 16 weeks of football games and "rooting" for Brett Favre? I don't care if I am "shortsighted", I care more about the last 16 years when I hated this guy each and every week and especially twice a season when he lined up across the field. All the wonks around town who say that it would great to have Brett at QB and take a shot at the Superbowl need to move over the border. Yeah, 10 years ago I could see this but now? Did you see him last year in the NFC Championship game? Where was the magic? Imagine him coming back, playing for the Vikes and not making the playoffs or getting booted after the first round or even throwing some interception that cost us everything?

I guess what I am saying is that I would rather lose with TJac than win with Favre. And for all of you who feel otherwise, think about this: Monday night, Pack v. Vikes, Lambeau field, Favre in Purple, do you honestly think he is going to be able to keep his emotions in check? Dollars to doughnuts you will be saying "Fucking Favre" in the same tone you did over the last 16 years just for totally opposite reasons.

6 Comments:

Blogger BG said...

This potential deal could be "EXHIBIT A" in the dictionary next to "DEAL WITH THE DEVIL" or "SELLING YOUR SOUL." Honestly, the whole thought makes me a bit sick to my stomach. Here is the dilemma: I am always going to root for the Vikes, but can I honestly root for Favre?! Like Jan articulated, I'll be saying "f-ing Favre", just like I have for the past 16 seasons. Also, while this is no doubt an upgrade THIS year, it would totally screw us in the out years, because then we have to make a decision on T-Jac's future (is he our QB or not?) without a full year's worth of evidence.

Would I be happy if we somehow won the big one with Favre? Yes...but it would always feel a bit tainted, which would suck.

Just thinking of all those fudgy fans and their worship of this guy makes me want to call Childress right now and tell him not to go through with this.

August 5, 2008 at 5:41 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

Huzzah!!! Bravo!!!

My sentiments exactly. I've always been one to wear my "fandom" for sports teams well under the vest, at least in my adulthood. I openly mock as pathetic people over the age of 18 who wear replica jerseys or show any hint of caring a little too much about the outcome of a sporting event for my tastes. But I'm gonna bleed a little Purple here: Anyone who could "cheer" for a Brett Favre-led Vikings team this year without their stomach turning is not a fan and doesn't deserve to be called one.

This is not out of animosity towards the player or person. Although I will say his antics over the last month have made me lose a lot of respect for him, I've never "hated" Brett Fahv-ruh. This is about loyalty to the Purple.

So, that's the emotional part. But it's compounded by logic. This is so clearly a bad idea, I almost can't believe people are taking it seriously, much less acting like it's an obvious move and a fait accompli. This really reminds me of Fall 2002, when the whole country went totally fucking crazy and signed off on this joke of a war without once sitting down to think about how obviously, monumentally stupid it was. For one, it would take most of the season for a brand new QB to mesh with a new offense. By the time he figured it out, he'd be halfway to retiring again. Then we'd start in the same place next year, with everyone a year older and AP having been tackled 250 more times in his young career. For another, his style of play could not be less suited to the blueprint for the 2008 Vikings. If this were John Elway going through this process with Denver in about 2002, or if Joe Montana had his twilight year with us instead of Kansas City, it might at least make some sense from a style perspective.

If we were to succeed in spite of Favre, then (a) we would do so with T-Jac, too, and (b) as jan mentioned, a'int no way on God's green Earth I'm gonna trust Brett Favre to guide the ever-cursed Vikings to the Super Bowl.

Similary, I still somewhat refuse to believe the Vikings are actually taking this seriously, instead of just jerking around Ted Thompson and co., and letting the distraction from the media algae bloom get so big it ruins the Pack's season. Please let that be the case. I mean, I have no faith in the Vikings, anyway - they've let us all down every time and there's no good reason to think they won't do the same here - but this might send me over the edge.

Oh, god, bg just raised the biggest stinker in the deck, too. Can you imagine what it would feel like if we actually did win it all with this guy? For one thing, I'd need a weeklong shower. More importantly, do you think you would EVER hear the end of how the Vikings could only win a Super Bowl with "their" quarterback from Packerbackers? Ever? No. It makes me shiver.

If we lose with him, we lose. And if we win with him, we lose.

August 5, 2008 at 5:51 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

Awewome...awesome, MCA. A lose-lose situation it is. Here is a good summary of the whole situation, from ProFootballTalk: "I’m both fascinated by and sick of this story. On one hand, it’s overshadowing far too many other compelling news items and rumors, and the coverage plays into Brett and Deanna’s apparent desire to become the king and queen of all sports. On the other hand, it’s the most compelling slow-motion train wreck we’ve ever seen."

Exactly.

August 5, 2008 at 8:59 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 6, 2008 at 5:45 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

I just wanted to reiterate, because I don't think it has been stated often enough or strongly enough.... Brett Favre as a Viking, would really suck.

August 6, 2008 at 5:46 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

PLEASE let it be true. Our long, statewide nightmare may soon be at an end. ESPN reporting the Bucs and Jets are in serious discussions. Vikings appear to have fallen by the wayside as Green Bay is still refusing to deal in the NFC North.

Oh, further update. Jets have an offer on the table - 4th round pick for Favre. Please, Thompson, take it!

August 6, 2008 at 8:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home