The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

August 13, 2008

An exciting game but same old same old

When Delmon Young stepped to the plate in the bottom of the 8th with 2 on and down by 3 facing Mariano, I said out loud to my better half "Please Delmon, hit a home run and change the course of our season and our atrocious past 5 years against these f'ers" - sure enouugh he came through (hitting the Twins first home run ever against Mariano) which was followed by a text to a few of you "Holy Fucking Buckets!" (sorry RTS, I don't think I have your cell, thought you were still boycotting those.) Well, it was a short-lived excitement as the Twins couldn't ride the momentum and end the game in the 9th. As Reusse's article points out, our bullpen is why we have won before and we need some help: "Even though it was the 12th, this was more evidence Guerrier isn't an eighth-inning pitcher. And right now, he's obviously a cooked pitcher, with an ERA of 18.00 and a .485 batting average against in his past eight appearances." This sounds absurd but where is Bobby Korecky?

Today's game is going to test the muster of this squad. I'd be happy with 2 of 3 from the Yankees any day of the week and twice on Sunday but I fear we are once again going to shrink from the big stage.

6 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 13, 2008 at 9:30 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Watching Blackburn's pitch count, I knew the Twins would be in trouble, since we would have to go to the pen early. the Twins are 4-4 in their last 8. The bullpen has taken the loss all 4 times. Not having the Shiek is definitely hurting right now. Couldn't we get a middle reliever pretty cheap? Why not bring up BK? He could not do anyworse.

I do have cell and infact, I got rid of my home phone. Thank you very little.

On a side note, having read the Holy Bejebus article, Michelle Bachman is crazy. Please tell me that there is a huge outcry up there to vote her out. She should be forced to wrestle Cynthia Mckinney (sp) in a death match.

August 13, 2008 at 10:45 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

RTS - I just remember a time when you were refusing to get a cell phone because you thought everyone were sheep and you were going to hold out (this was circa like 2002); just didn't know if your Ludite-ways were continuing.

Michelle Bachman is nuts. No, there isn't a huge outcry up here.

Back to baseball - I will be happy if the Twins win today and sad if they don't.

August 13, 2008 at 11:00 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Who is Randy Ruiz and why did he just get doubled off first?

On the cell phone, I think I held out longer than most.

August 13, 2008 at 12:56 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

Great win today...by the time I even looked at the score, we were up 4-2. Nice. Looks like Slowey had a nice outing.

RTS, you should be proud of holding out on the cell phone.

August 13, 2008 at 3:39 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

Nice win today folks...

RTS- We brought Ruiz up from the minor league when we dumped C. Monroe, whom I admit was a miss on my part.... not sure if he can play or not, but he's a big, big kid.

I got my first cell phone in 1997, trailblazer is the best word that comes to mind...

August 13, 2008 at 6:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home