The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

July 10, 2008

Soul Asylum 2008

Last night I saw the Gin Blossoms and Soul Asylum. Some thoughts on the show-

10. I am guessing they don't do many shows this far below the Mason Dixon line. My brother was able to score free tickets from the promoter because the show was grossly undersold. The Anoka prom would have had more of a crowd.

9. Dave Pirner said "The Gin Blossom fans sure are good looking." Have you ever wondered where the good looking 30 year old girls still on the market are on a Wednesday night? Apparently, the answer is at a Gin Blossoms concert.

8. The Gin Blossoms are one step removed from touring with Lilith Fair.

7. Soul Asylum was the main act and the Gin Blossoms opened. I was not sure going in who was the "bigger" band.

6. My favorite song of the evening was the same as it was the first time I saw Soul Asylum in 91/92, Sometime to Return.

5. I think I was the only one in the crowd who recognized Sometime to Return

4. Soul Asylum had no T-shirts for sale. If they still had the Jagermiester shirts, I probably would have purchased one.

3. Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap circa 1992 "Good night Springfield there will be no encore."
This was the first concert I have ever been to where there was no encore. Probably a good move with only 500 people standing in the rain.

2. I rarely drink, but when I do I can't/ won't stop at two beers. Something for me to mull over.

1. All kidding aside, I had a good time and Soul Asylum still put on a good show.

1A. In doing a little prep for the concert I found an interview with Dave Pirner. On the Replacements album Stink it opens up with the cops breaking up a party, something along the lines of "This is the Minneapolis police the party is over." Someone in the background can be heard yelling "F**k you" back at the cops. That was Dave Pirner.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

RTS - Nice work walking down memory lane in real time. I remember seeing Soul Asylum with you (can't remember the venue) but I did buy one of their Jagermeister t-shirts and thought I was a bad motherf'er.

My two favorite SA songs - Sometime to Return and Runaway Train (mostly because those are the only two songs I remember/know.) Does Dav Pirner still have the same hair or did he get it 'updated' for 2008? Did you shout out "6-1-2 in the house?" to see if you could get a hometown nod from the band?

I would be disappointed in you if you had said "I rarely drink and when I do I love me a Leine's Summer Shandy. But just one because I've learned from my past that I get a bit 'out of control' when I go over that limit."

July 10, 2008 at 9:05 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

We saw them at First Ave with Burley.

I did not shout out 612 in the house. I did say kidding to my brother "That was the best Husker Du show I have ever seen." I am not sure if he got the joke.

He has some of the hair not all of it. It is long but not the frizzy mess it used to be.

Some rewording of this exerpt from No Country for Old Men sums up my inner dialog with the alcohol:

Anton Chigurh: You know how this is going to turn out, don't you?
RTS: Nope.
Anton Chigurh: I think you do.
[RTS hangs up the phone]

July 10, 2008 at 10:24 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

RTS - Saw the line-up for the Basilica Block party, tomorrow night "Gin Blossoms" take the stage. They must be on some sort of world wide tour.

July 11, 2008 at 8:52 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Is Soul Asylum playing the block party as well? I saw them twice there. Big Head Todd and the Monsters are regulars for that event as well.

July 11, 2008 at 9:38 AM

 
Blogger BG said...

Guys...just to make this strain even more random: I was in Nashville two weeks ago for work, and my customer took me out to see...drumroll...the Gin Blossoms!! No joke...we were at this huge, primarily country, venue (probably could put 4,000 - 5,000 people in there), but there were only about 500-1,000 people in attendance. Kind of depressing, really. The minute the show ended, the bartender was doing the "for the next five minutes, $2 jager bombs" thing over the loudspeaker.

The thing that shocked me was how many Gin blossoms songs I actually recognized. Call me a loser, but apparently they were big when we were all in college.

July 11, 2008 at 4:21 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Agreed, the number of songs I knew was shocking. I thought they only had 1 song. Apparently they have quite a few, they just all sound the same.

July 14, 2008 at 8:26 AM

 
Blogger Lauren Alexander said...

I like your review of the show. I saw them in KC with Los Lonely Boys. I too wish there were a good t-shirt to buy. I love them.

July 27, 2008 at 7:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home