The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

December 14, 2007

Public Enemy #1: Kyle Orton

Turning our attention back to football for a second, historically Vikings teams, for some unknown reason (I still want to blame Herschel Walker and I don't know why), tend to get burned by back up quarterbacks. This happens so often that I question whether or not the Vikings defense snuck into the Oiler's locker room during that 1993 playoff game against the Bills where Frank Reich was Joe Montana/Dan Marion/John Elway rolled into one. Last weekend, Shaun Hill had the perfect scenario to be that Vikings killing back up (especially considering he was on our roster for 4 years) when he started off the second half with a 70+ yard drive for a td. While our defense stepped up and the 49ers reverted to form, we were able to cruise to a victory, but a collapse did cross my mind.

This brings us to Monday night at the RollerDome where Kyle Orton steps onto the carpet against the "New America's Team" (apparently, 'America's Team' is already taken) and Peter King's favorite our Minnesota Vikings. I'm going to be in attendance with drinking buddy Eric Roedel and hopefully when I call one of you from the game you won't be able to hear me due to the cheering and it won't be like the time I called Gauck at the Dome seconds after our 1998 season turned to dust and could have heard a pin drop.

With that all said, listening to the local sports homers talk about how we have turned the corner makes me worry. I'm reminded of story I heard about John D. Rockefeller who predicted the 1929 stock market crash because he overheard his shoe shine boy trading stock tips. I fear our bandwagon might be getting ready to tip over. In the words of Alan Greenspan, I feel like there is an undercurrent of 'irrational exuberence' in Vikingslandia. Then again, it could all be in my head.

8 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Here are Orton's 2005 stats (Somehow in 2006, with as horrible as Grossman was, he was unable to get on the field):

Games 15, Comp 190, Attempts 368, yards 1869 Ave 5.1, TDs 9, Long 54, INTs 13 Rating 59.7

I bet he hits Berrian for one long score. But I think the Vikes take this one 27-13.

December 14, 2007 at 11:40 AM

 
Blogger BG said...

Jan, you and I think too much alike on this stuff. When Shaun Hill led that scoring drive, all the Vikes fans around me were still partying, spilling Bud Light everywhere and generally soaking up a great day for Vikes fans. Me? I was sitting in my seat thinking to myself that, unless our offense put up another TD, we could easily lose 28-27.

Peter King has the Vikings SEVENTH in his fine 15? REALLY? C'mon! Also, as Daisy is out of town, I flipped on SportsCenter last night to find Sean Salisbury guaranteeing the Vikings make the playoffs in his "Coors Light Cold Hard Facts." That, my friends, is the kiss of death.

December 14, 2007 at 1:18 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

BG, knew you were thinking the same thing. BTW - What happened to Steak's head? It has grown larger.

If we can run the ball and play defense then, yes, we have a shot at making some noise. Defense and ball control wins championships, or so I have read.

December 14, 2007 at 1:23 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

I'm with rts here. I get the feeling Orton's too much of a known quantity to surprise us. It's the unknown, never taken an NFL snap, pop their cherry on the Vikings guys that scare me. That, and crappy starting QBs whose crappiness we take for granted. Like, I don't know, Chris Chandler.

bg, you can't watch Sportscenter unless Daisy's out of town? Hasn't even been two years yet, bro. You might have to ask permission to take a piss by next Memorial Day.

December 14, 2007 at 3:35 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

Lindsay's out of tonight, so I thought I might drink and swear ... really looking forward to it. (BG????)

Amazing how clueless these commentators are- and how quickly they jump on the "hot" team.. Right before a commercial the other night sportscenter ran some video of AP breaking a tackle with the voice over saying something akin to "When we get back, we'll tell you what NFC team you don't want to face in the playoffs".. oh really, the Vikings are the team that nobody wants to face??? How about the f_ Patriots you idiots.....

I'm happy the Vikes have been able to string a few games together- and love that the defensive backfield is beginning to play much better together, but we're still a pass rusher, quarterback, tight end, and at least 2 receivers away from being a team that nobody wants to face...and that my friends is a lot of needs...with that said: go Vikes

December 14, 2007 at 5:46 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

Wow...just getting thrown under the bus here.

T-Jack still scares me too. Thank goodness two of our next three are at home, against teams that may have mailed it in by the time we play them. Not loving the Denver matchup, but again, they will be thinking about off-season golf by the time we get there.

December 14, 2007 at 6:13 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Kind of kept quiet around here but did you see Dwight Smith picked up for smoking weed and obstructing traffic last week?

Nice.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12535511.html

December 17, 2007 at 8:56 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

You left off the part about it happening in front of a strip club, shocking. I am sure someone else was driving his car or so he will say.

So I lost both of my FFl playoffs yesterday, unless AP can break the rushing record again. MCA, you and I dance next week.

December 17, 2007 at 10:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home