The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

December 4, 2007

I couldn't disagree more, which is what makes the whole situation great

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3138383&sportCat=ncf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

In short, this article is the call for the playoff system. I am very much pro-bowl games and very anti- a playoff system. I like all the bickering and the uncertainty that goes along with the current system. I am not sure a playoff system would solve these issues. If they expanded the playoffs to 4 teams, there would still be the exact same debate over the teams left out. Georgia, USC and OKL? What about undefeated Hawaii? If you make a spot for them then how do you decide the other 1? All the playoff does is moves the level of debate down a rung or two and cheapens the regular season.

Here is why I think the BCS got it right:

Let's dump the easy ones first-
WV- Timing of the Pitt loss killed them.
GA- A team can't come in 3rd in their division and play for the National title. With this many teams with 1 or 2 losses, that eliminates them.
Kansas- They can't lose to Missouri, who then loses for a second time to OKL. They are out.
VT- They lost 48-7 to LSU. If that came was even respectable maybe, we could talk.
Missouri- 2 losses to OKL puts them behind OKL.

The difficult 3-
USC- The Stanford loss, is the worst loss of any team left, that knocks them out. Don't give me that injury crap either. That is why the whole season is important.
Hawaii-Undefeated, but their opponents combined record is 47-92. I hope they have a good time at the Sugar Bowl and thrash GA.
Oklahoma- For me this is tough, but 2 losses are more than 1 and 2 these 2 losses are worse than LSUs two OT losses. CU and TT are both bowl bound, so their losses were to decent teams. Just not enough their for me to jump 1 loss OSU.

The in crowd-
OSU- 1 loss is less than 2. They still beat 5 bowl bound teams including Wisco, PSU and Mich. Not that teams are great, but they are no worse than a TT or CU.
LSU- Champs of the toughest conference (supposedly). Both losses in OT. Better losses than the other 2 loss schools.

I am sure it is open to debate as it should be. That is what makes it fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

I know my proof reading sucks. Try doing this between orders while watching 5 screens, it is tough.

December 4, 2007 at 2:29 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 4, 2007 at 2:29 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Can I just ask, who the hell goes to West Virginia? What a weird college to go to. . . "So, I see on your resume you attended West Virginia." Imagine if your biggest rivalrly was Pitt. Better yet, who goest to Pitt?

December 4, 2007 at 3:19 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

RTS - I totally agree. A playoff system moves us one step closer to the NBA, where the regular season is totally meaningless. If they do have a playoff, they need to take like 32 teams and start it in early Dec., or it'll be a joke.

The only thing the BCS really f-ed up, in my opinion, was taking Illinois for the Rose Bowl! Are you kidding me? They went 9-3. Granted, one of those losses was against Missouri, but they also lost to Michigan at home (and I can't remember who else). I'm all for the Pac 10 / Big 10 tradition, but how sweet would a USC vs. Georgia game have been?

Stenerud, to answer your question, I'm not sure who goes to WVU, other than people who grew up in West Virginia. I've personally never met anyone who went there. Not sure I ever will. It doesn't strike me like Big Ten schools, where people from all over the midwest go to all the different State schools.

December 4, 2007 at 3:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home