The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

February 17, 2012

Riding Lin-Sanity


I thought I would post this page once the NBA Finals started. However, there was the chance that the finals would come and go and I would not realize it. This Lin guy offered me a chance to ride his coat tails to post my NBA tickets.

Yep, that is all of them. There are none missing. There is: the obligatory visit to the Metrodome to see the T-Wolves the first season (against the Kings and Danny W's dad accused me of trying to get out of paying for the ticket when I had already paid Danny at the game and he used the money to purchase a mini basketball), a pair of corporate freebies, a playoff game against the Spurs on a whim, the Hawks game my daughter danced at (aka the racket the Hawks use to get people like me to buy a ticket) and game 1 of the NBA Finals the fifth time the Bulls won it all. A friend of mine had been diagnosed with a disease. His dad got us tickets as a way to get us together and lift his spirits. It was an amazing game. Jordan hit the game winner as time expired. More importantly I saw how tough of shape my buddy was in at the time. I did not fully comprehend what was going on from what he told me over the phone. It was an important weekend for both of us. That is enough of the emotional crap, everything turned out fine.

2 Comments:

Blogger BG said...

RTS - your NBA record is much more illustrious than mine. I can't say I've ever attended a playoff game. I've hit a few Warriors games out here, but only when free tickets are involved.

Also, this may be my opening to finally admit that I've been sort of following the TWolves this year. I have to confess, I watched one game (vs. the Clippers, it was on ESPN and started at 7:30 PT) and it was actually pretty exciting. Rubio appears to be the real deal, as the team is .500 so far this year, vs. being a .300 team least year, with roughly the same guys. I've also heard that Adelman is a good coach.

My point: it's actually kind of fun to watch the score scroll and care what the Wolves result is. The future appears to be bright, with Love locked up for 4 years and Rubio and Derrick Williams just rookies.

February 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

I have paid enough attention to the Wolves this season to know that they're a .500 team stuck in the cellar of what is apparently far and away the best division in the NBA. So, in other words, typical of a Minnesota franchise. Upward mobility will be stanched by the circumstances, and the window will pass without any real success. No different than the rise during the Garnett years when the Western Conference's 6th best team would be a favorite to sweep the NBA Finals regardless of who their opponent might turn out to be. Doomed. Ho hum, move on.

Linsanity is cool, one of those totally unexpected phenomenons that make my now semi-retired sports fan remember the reasons sports can be so fun. This is such a complete breaking of the script, it's a riot. Not just Harvard. Not just undrafted out of Harvard (recruited and coached by Tommy Amaker, by the way, making a new case for himself for being the eventual K successor if Johnny D doesn't make it). Not just undrafted Asian out of Harvard. Undrafted Asian out of Harvard with the greatest 6 game start to an NBA career of all time. Pretty cool.

February 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home