The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

February 6, 2012

The Super Bowl

The 9-7 Giants won the Super Bowl. How is it possible that with the exception of the 1988 upset of the 49ers, the Vikings have been unable to win a game they weren't supposed to win in the playoffs? Clearly, it happens for some teams. The Giants made it all the way through the playoffs upsetting teams. They did it 4 years ago too. Just one time, it should have been the Vikings time to make a run. I mean heck Chris Doleman from that era is going into the HOF. There are already two others in, John Randle and Randall McDaniel and one, Cris Carter, in the wings. Yesterday, was just another whack on the breaking wheel.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

It's just not meant to be, just not. I move from hoping for it every year to letting my self be pleasantly surprised if/when it does actually happen. That way, no frustration.

I am trying my best with this "no more hating" thing and Mrs. Jan caught me last night wishing Brady would get hurt. I took back my comment. I've matured.

February 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

Good and pertinent question that somewhat defines the Vikings. 18 division championships and 26 playoff appearances and they've never won the big one, and have exactly one surprising run (it was '87, and we crushed New Orleans, who had the second best record in the NFC, before upsetting the 'Niners). Maybe more that we don't remember because they were before our time, I guess - I think the fourth Super Bowl team wasn't that great, if I recall. And we've won a couple Wild Card games as the last team in, only to get put in our place the next week, but that doesn't really count.

I will say that, once Bradshaw was healthy, the Giants were a much better team and hotter than anyone other than New Orleans, who they avoided, going into the playoffs. Other than Green Bay, I wasn't surprised by any team losing to them, including the Patriots. 4 years ago was a different story, though, for sure.

Anyway, the end of the story for me (broken record alert!) is this: unless and until we find a great quarterback or MSP somehow becomes Baltimore, we're not going back to the Super Bowl. If 3DC develops into a top notch QB, then we can think about getting back in line for that ride, but until then, we will not go anywhere. The NFL has always been about quarterback play, and never moreso than now. Look at the lower seeds and Wild Cards who've made those runs the last several years. Notice their quarterbacks: Roethlisberger, Manning, Rodgers.

February 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home