The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

August 19, 2011

The bulletin

It is that time, the new Blake Bulletin is out. Time to review what is going on in the land of Blakedom.

It starts off with a list where the graduating seniors are going next year. Unofficially, it takes more than one hand and less than two to count the number of students headed off to Ivy league schools. Same thing for the number of Northwestern kids. Holy crap, there are two kids going to Iowa. I was the first kid in 5 or 6 years to choose Iowa. I was the last one to go there until a year or two ago. These kids are starting to infringe on my legacy. Just go to Wisconsin like everyone else in the 4th quintile. I am not amused.

Let's see what the old class of '92 is up to. Mary M moved to Europe. I think it is official, 9 out of 10 people live abroad now. Sure I am bashing, but had I moved to Malaysia, which was a definite possibility not too long ago, you can bet I would have written in. Andrew A writes he is a surgeon and maintains an athletic lifestyle. I expected nothing less. Mayank K is IN HERE AGAIN. DUDE GIVE IT A REST. WE KNOW WHAT YOU ARE UP TO! YOU WRITE IN EVERY GOSH DARN TIME. I am not even reading the rest of this out of principal. He is also pictured twice in the issue. I am going to put together a collection of bulletins and sell it as a Where's Mayank K book. Hopefully, I can get him to wear a red and white sweater going forward. I bet Jan was not sure who Mayank K was at graduation.

The gem of the updates is from DTK's sister. She writes about how she home schools her kids and uses the notation "formerly class of 2020 and 2018" when referring to them. Nothing like rubbing it in the old schools face.

Other news and notes:
Carolyn M wins some alumni athlete award. She looks tasty, I would be all over all 6'6" of her. From reading her bio and looking at her physical features, there is probably not a person I am less compatible with on the planet.

This is interesting there are currently 2 Governors and 1 Senator that are Blake Grads. DTK was our next best hope, but he threw in the towel. That was probably best for all parties involved.

While the class of '92 avoided an in memory notice for the the first time in a couple of issues (we are sitting at 103 out of 106), two teachers passed away. One was former 6th grade social studies teacher Ms. Lindsey. In class when the lights were turned off she would fall asleep in a matter of moments. There was definitely some medical condition there. I think the only reason Buzz Lund passed his country project was he turned on a film strip and she missed the rest of his presentation. The other was Darryl Mac. I never had him so I do not have much to say.

Omitted from the bulletin any mention of a class of '91 student caught in an insider trading scandal. Instead they used the space for a picture of an Asian boy, a black girl and a white girl using a Bunsen burner together.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Pour one out for Mrs. Lindsey, great educator. She had a touch of Narcolepsy which doctors would say was triggered by changes in the intensity of light, Buzz knew this as "lights go off and she goes out" - smart; I was in that class and distinctly remember Buzz's "sloppy" introduction and then turning the lights off and showing a video of the German Luftwaffe bombing London. Regardless of Mrs. Lindsey staying awake I can say that this middle-schooler was impressed and learned something that day so to Buzz and RTS for your "Country Report" on what I assume your topic was "Germany" (maybe not, I think Buzz just showed the video and then we all clapped) I say "thank you."

Pour one out for DMac - he was my homeroom teacher who I never really got along with. In 11th grade I walked late to homeroom and he said "You're tardy" to which I replied "I don't feel tardy" (thank you Van Halen). I didn't say it to his face, more under my breath but he heard. Sorry for that DMac. I also had him for an English class and we read the Bible, I think he was born again so it kinda irked me as I felt he was being subversive. Maybe not. Sorry for that too DMac.

August 22, 2011 at 8:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home