The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

November 8, 2010

Vikes v. Cards - The (Almost) Turd in the Tundra

Well, we won. Can I get a wha, wha?

I spent the day doing chores. Lots of raking (not that it did me any good too as my yard is again full of leaves as of 7 a.m. this morning) and a few errands, (note to editor: insert "bed bath and beyond" joke from Old School.) There was more raking and chores than listening to the game as things seemed weird early and I wanted no part of the drama.

These are actual snippets that I caught of the game over the day (note to editor: insert joke, something about writing a book called "Being a Vikings fan or How to root for your favorite team in just 10 minutes a day"):

1. I heard Greg Camarillo save our season. Total time committed to Vikings - 3:15

2. I heard AP score in the 1st then I went around the side of the house to grab something and came back to listen to Jay Feeley hit the Cards xtra point to tie it. Total time committed to the Vikings - 4:00

3. I caught the line: "What hurt us was the timeout we took thinking we were going to get the ball back as it gave some time for the Cards to come up with something and then a missed tackle by us and they go on to score the go ahead touchdown. Cardinals 14, Vikings 10 on your Vikings Radio Network." Total time committed to Vikings - 4:08

4. Drove to get dog food. Turned on radio just as Percy fields the opening kickoff of the 2nd half. Turned off radio. Total time committed to Vikings - 4:15

5. Had late pizza lunch with family ("Punch Pizza" over in Calhoun Village, one of those Italian brickoven-type places, stop over if you're in town, delicious by the way) turned on radio on during drive home, hear something about Favre having thrown a pick (not his fault, btw) on the Cards 2 yard line that could be the "deciding factor of the game." Cards kick field goal. Turn off radio. Total time committed to Vikings - 6:20

6. Give dog a bath. Walk into kitchen to grab something, Vikes driving. Watch Favre misfire with six minutes left. Like Favre who later said in his presser that he thought the season was pretty much over at that point ("one foot in the parking lot" was how I think he said it) I too think season is over. Total time committed to Vikings - 8:20.

7. Take towels from bath downstairs. Watch AP run one in. Walk away, Vikes still down by 7. Total time committed to Vikings - 8:29.

8. Put towels in wash. Futz in workroom (I'm building a robot), return to family, Mrs. Jan comments something about tying it up. I tell her I don't care. Total time committed to Vikings - 8:32.

9. Mrs. Jan encourages me to watch rest of game. Cooler-heads prevail and I agree. Sit down on couch and turn on t.v. literally as Longwell's kick seals the OT win. Total time committed to Vikings - 8:34.

2 Comments:

Blogger BG said...

Love it, Jan. Can I use my line again? Best 3-5 team in NFL history...okay, maybe I'm exaggerating here, but this team has caught exactly ZERO breaks this year, and is somehow still alive (albeit, it's a long shot). The upcoming schedule is do-able, with at Bears and home vs. Packers the next two weeks. I'd say that's the season right there.

Is it any coincidence that the game turned when we started getting pressure on Anderson? I mean, c'mon! I could have told you that!! The D actually only gave up 10 points yesterday, since one TD was a KO return and the other was a fumble return.

Here is my synopsis of my day:

1) Spend two hours watching debacle of a game, while trying not to spew obscenities of presence of 15 month old daughter. Time: 2:00 hours.

2) Wife asks: when is the game over? To which I reply (after the failed 4th and goal with 6 minutes left): it's over. We suck. Total time: 2:00:15.

3) Go for walk with 15 month old daughter, peer inside the window at a bar near our place, and see te Vikes kicking the PAT to tie it up. HUH? Total time: 2:00:30.

4) Arrive home, check the internets, and confirm that the Vikes won in OT. Total time spent: 2:01:00.

BTW - if we lose to the Bears, Chilly's gone, right? The rumor is that Zygi was ready to fire him yesterday until we pulled out that game.

November 8, 2010 at 4:26 PM

 
Blogger Joseph said...

How vike card is looks like?

Clear Business Cards
Scratch Cards
Printed Gift Cards

May 10, 2012 at 1:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home