The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

November 15, 2010

Vikes v. Bears - The Collective Crap in our Pants

Yes, I am going to comment on the f'ing game, I know we have all given up but after a snowstorm on Saturday knocked out our power (only got it back on this morning) we spent the rest of the weekend with my in-laws which meant I had ample time to take in the game. I actually watched until there were 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter, it would have been a waste of time but there wasn't much else going on for me so . . .

Game Notes:

1. Note to Leslie Frazier: Dude, our four man rush doesn't work like it did last year. Blame it on Cedric Griffith going down or whatever but how about a blitz at some point during the first half yesterday? Side note to the front four: You're terrible this year. Kevin, act like you care. Pat, once in a while collapse the pocket, please. Jared, grow that mullet back, we're not paying you to be a pussy. Ray, you look like the best of all of them but still you're showing why the Vikes didn't give you a huge extension like you wanted.

2. Note to special teams: All year you play solid and then this? So maddening it's unreal. It's Devon Hester, tackle him like anyone else.

3. Note to whoever is calling the offense (Brad? Darrell? Brett?): Here's the deal, we all know Sidney isn't out there and Moss ain't walking back through that door and Berrian is the most overpaid wideout in the league but you still NEED to throw it downfield and give the impression that we might be going deep once in a while. I get it, it was windy, then why did Cutler look like Montana? Sidenote: Camarillo, drop another touchdown pass assface and I cut you, and I mean with a knife not from the roster. Double sidenote: Berrian, I read you defended yourself by saying you're a tough guy who plays hurt a lot but know one knows about those times, well yesterday was one of those days to play hurt. Suck it up.

4. Note to whoever is calling the offense part deux: We have AP. I don't care about no 9 guys in the box, we have AP. Put it on his back, he wants it.

5. Note to ownership: I love you Zygi, I really do. You do everything I would as an owner, you spend money, you take risks on free agents, you want to win. I think you're gonna get your stadium too which makes me happy. But you didn't do one thing yesterday I would have which is catch Chilly as he is walking off the field and fire him right then and there and tell him to take the millions you're still paying him and buy his own f'ing ticket home. There is no room for losers on my ship.

6. Note to Favre: Bow out gracefully. End the streak. It looks like you're trying to do that (read here.) We made the deal with the devil and it has blown up on us so please take your lovely wife and your cellphone with your penis pictures on it and go home. Quit. Just go away. I'd rather see TJac and Joe Webb run some hybrid of the Wildcat as it would be waaaay more entertaining.

7. Note to FTLOSBW: We're 3 and 6 and going nowhere. Deal with it. I want two things from the rest of this year, one is a win over the Packers next Sunday. Long shot I know. And two, I'd like to see someone break Cutler's jaw when we play them later this year in the dome.

5 Comments:

Blogger MCA said...

Huzzah! +1 to everything Jan said, right on the freaking money.

The only thing I can add to all that is this: did NO ONE on the Vikings coaching staff watch Bears game tape from the rest of this season before this? I'm just a caveman lawyer, you know, but even I can see you should be sending a fifth and sometimes sixth guy into that offensive line pretty much every passing down and even in run situations. That Bears team gave up 9 sacks to the Giants. In the FIRST HALF!!! Get the fuck after Cutler!

I actually want the Bears to win the division now, to (i) ensure that Green Bay does not, and (ii) to buy Lovie another couple years to keep frustrating Bears fans with his competent mediocrity. I look forward to a big embarrassment for them in the playoffs, and then a nice regression to the mean next year if they somehow win 10 games this season.

November 15, 2010 at 3:00 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

Followup, wherein I try to keep this tangentially about the Vikes any way I can by leading with the following:

I wonder if some of those delusional people thinking the Vikings can still go 6-1 to finish the season and maybe sneak into the playoffs still feel that way after watching last night's game.

Because, Ho. Lee. Shit are the Eagles going to take us to the fucking woods and make us squeal like a pig.

Did you guys see this shit? http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81c27f1e/Week-10-Michael-Vick-highlights. That was like me against my 3 year-old son in Madden Football.

Most electrifying opening play ever. I literally gasped. Last and only other guy I've ever seen look so effortless throwing a football 65 yards in the air? Randall Cunningham.

RTS, that's turning into the best FFL waiver pickup of all time. 48 points!!!

November 16, 2010 at 12:18 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

And MCA, great point in the VM to me last night about the Vikes getting Kevin Kolb's agent on the phone ASAP!

I don't think I've ever seen a player put up 25 fantasy points in one quarter. Unreal...and of course it came against me. KArmic payback for my "weak" strength of schedule in the FFL over the first 5 or 6 weeks.

November 16, 2010 at 1:18 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Thank goodness I was out being humbled, looking at private schools, deciding how to spend the Blake like tuition that is burning a hole in my pocket, instead of watching the Vikes. After the gut punch from NU on Saturday, I was footballed out. It does not sound like I missed anything that we have not come to expect.

Regarding Vick, that was truely amazing. I don't know if it is his attitude, the coaching or the weapons around him but he is a better than he was his first go around. Like I told BG I would have traded that performance last night for the win on Saturday.

November 16, 2010 at 1:43 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

He's definitely figured out how to stand in the pocket, go through progressions, and not flush immediately. As Jaworski and Gruden noted on multiple occasions last night. Don't know if he learned that from McNabb or he's just had a lot of time to study the game and learn how to be an actual quarterback. He's also more accurate than he used to be.

And some of it's definitely coaching and schemes. Phil Simms pointed out against the Colts what a great idea it is to have Vick drop back a full 10-12 yards. His arm strength is more than enough to make up for it, he hops back there in no more time than it takes Philip Rivers to get 7-8 yards deep, and it gives him (a) more time and (b) better visibility and passing lanes, since he's not very tall. In addition, for a pocket to collapse or a lineman to beat his guy and reach him, the defensive line has to spread out all over the place - it stretches the field - which just gives him all kinds of lanes to run in if he takes off. It's brilliant. Video game tactics for a video game athlete. I don't think the Falcons ever tried that with him.

November 16, 2010 at 3:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home