The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

May 6, 2010

A visit to the Dump


A couple night's ago I was invited by FOB ER to attend an event at the Dome prior to going to Target Field (can we please nickname this place?) We got to go on the field and see the Vikings lockerroom, the press box, basically anywhere you wanted to go. Cool in a nostaligic, curious kind of way, totally depressing in a 'this place is a piece of crap and the Vikes need a new stadium yesterday' kind of way.

Here is a quick slideshow of my visit.

General comments:

1. When you see it on TV the field (i.e. warning track, 'bullpen' etc.) looks atrocious, right? Close up it's worse. The floors are peeling back, there are big holes in walls where they had to add stuff on ad hoc, pipes are gross and rusted.

2. Vikes lockerroom - Not surprisingly my high school has better facilities. Not exaggerating when I say this but the lockerroom was the size of my garage, there were two soaking tubs that look like Alan Page had used, 8 shower stalls and few toilets. The players use lockers with some on wheels so they can be moved around easily and get to relax on some sweet folding chairs with purple padding. It was embarrassing. Can see how it would be a rallying point for the players like it was last year against the Cowboys (us against them) and can't believe how short-sighted our legistlature is.

3. Ditto of the above for everything else from the dugout to the bullpen. It plain blows.

4. Going from there to Target Field (again, what are we calling this thing?) you can imagine.

5. My personal highlight - standing on the mound. Yes, I look like a douche as I am 35 years old but felt like I was 7.

1 Comments:

Blogger LH said...

slideshow was the event of the week for me (ok, it's been a slow week so far). Can you imagine how much abuse the bathroom facilities have gone through by now, I mean- how many years has Pat Williams been on the team now?

Man, I hope the team gets new facilities- while I generally feel that players are certainly overpaid for the amount of social value they bring to the world, it's still embarassing to think that we can't provide these players with something better to sit on than a purple folding chair I would only use for a tailgate party.

May 11, 2010 at 11:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home