The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

April 20, 2010

Tuesday Morning Grab Bag

1. Nice start to the season. 9-4, scoring a lot of runs despite being 3-19 with the bases loaded. Assuming that returns to the mean, we'll be putting up even more. Early good signs: Delmon's hitting the ball with authority and not flapping at the first pitch every time; Liriano 7IP, 93 pitches, 0 runs, 8Ks vs. BoSox; Baker outdueling Greinke; Span getting really good at-bats; stealing some bases; occasional Thome dingers; bullpen performance other than Mijares. Early disconcerting items: Mijares; consecutive blowups by Blackburn and Pavano over the weekend; Slowey's control seems a little off so far; Hudson not getting on base too often; Morneau struggling with RISP a bit; Punto starting too many games.

2. I know the rea$on$ behind it, but can I just get it off my chest how much I dislike the idea of the Big Ten expanding to include schools like Rutgers and Syracuse? This is apparently now not just a possibility, but exceedingly likely. I'll shed no tears for the Big East collapsing, but I wish it would reconstitute as something else instead of diluting all the other conferences. The Big Ten is the Midwest Conference. Adding a school in New Jersey is just wrong for so many reasons. Any reason that does not involve dollars, as a matter of fact. And even then, you're not going to "tap the New York market" by including them. Like Manhattan's going to stop and pay attention to Wisconsin vs. Ohio State now just because Rutgers is in the same conference? I don't like oversized conferences, and I don't like conferences with no regional identity where rivalries can't be fostered.

3. I heard there are playoffs occurring now in the NBA. Perhaps LH, if he's still alive, can give us some insight.

4. It's amazing to me how quickly my feelings on the Cubs have changed now that I live more than two miles from Wrigley. I used to think of them as my "sort of second team." Now I really don't give a hoot about the team or franchise. It's a joke. They suck.

5. Ben Roethlisberger: d-bag or collossal d-bag? Discuss.

6. Are the Vikings looking to draft a QB this year? I see we signed T-Jack to an extension. Obviously, we've got some age issues at various positions that probably need to be addressed, in addition to longterm QB. I'd prefer they not take Jimmy Clausen if they do choose a QB. He strikes me as lacking gravitas. His actions and words lead me to think he's basically still a 7th grader emotionally. Guys who lead NFL teams need to be serious, accountable, and mature. I'd rather have Colt McCoy, but think we could probably get someone with just as much likelihood of becoming a really good NFL QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. After Bradford, I'm not convinced anyone else is so close to a sure thing, in terms of pure physical ability and mental makeup, that they're worth a first round pick.

4 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

1. Imagine if they do come on around on the timely hitting how much more potent this offense could be. I am excited about this team despite the fact I have only been able to follow through recaps, this blog and boxscores.

2. Totally against expansion. If it did happen I would rather take Missouri than either of those schools.

3. Really, did the Wolves make it?

4. When I left Chicago, I totally disconnected from the Cubs as well. Granted you are still in Chicago so it is a little more surprising. I have never connected with the Braves.

5. Plaxico is sitting in prison thinking he should have just raped some college girls instead of carrying a piece.

6. I would think we would be in the market for a QB, some secondary help and maybe another RB.

April 20, 2010 at 11:19 AM

 
Blogger BG said...

Nice, MCA. Nice. Way to initiate some chatter. The Twins' offense is a completely foreign concept to me...I used to pray that our pitching would hold opponents to 3 or fewer runs, as I felt that was the only way we could win. Now, there just isn't as much reason to worry (though the BA with RISP is abysmal - in stark contrast to a couple years ago). Isn't it funny to hear about all these teams trying to win with "pitching and defense" this year (White Sox and Red Sox, particularly) while the Twins are boppers? So strange.

I am for expansion, under these conditions: expand only to 12 teams, maintain the midwest make-up, and do everything in the conference's power to lure Notre Dame. Otherwise, it becomes the Big East Basketball conference of football. No natural rivalries, severely unbalanced schedules, etc. Yuck. My short list for teams to add: ND, Missouri and Nebraska. That's it. MCA's argument against Rutgers is spot-on. NYC will never care about the Big Ten.

Wake me when the conference finals roll around.

I followed the Cubs for a couple years after moving out here, but now I couldn't care less. They simply can't get their act together, and the whole vibe around the team has gone from lovable to bitter (am I right, MCA?). Seems like booing is more common than cheering these days at Wrigley. Just doesn't seem right.

Big Ben is a colossal D-bag. My question about this has been: why is he partying in Milledgeville, GA? Where is that, anyway? Why isn't he in Miami, NY, Vegas, LA, etc? Is he that bad at pulling chicks on his own that he has to go to some backwoods college town in GA and have his entourage physically pull women into the bathroom? Creepy...

T-Jack just signed a one-year tender as a restricted free agent. Doesn't necessarily signify anything (and apparently he had ZERO interest from other teams)...I will cry if we take Tebow anywhere before the 4th or 5th round. And I will consider jumping off the GG bridge if we take Clause (speaking of immature d-bags). If McCoy slips, however, I'd be fine with taking him in the 3rd.

Ok. I'm spent. Let's take care of business vs. the Indians.

Oh yeah, I had dinner with Mr. and Mrs. LH on Friday night here in the Bay Area. He is alive and well...just very busy and on his 1-year anniversary vacation over the past week.

April 20, 2010 at 1:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magic Number is down to 146

April 21, 2010 at 12:26 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Wow, it's alive! The blog is alive!

Nice work, MCA. Chatty before I start my day.

1. Love the start. Love the confidence. We'll score a lot of runs with that lineup. BTW - Could there have been a more beautiful week of weather to get this thing going too? I know it's the "Minnesotan" in me but yesterday was 75 and sunny with a light breeze.

2. Expansion is not good. More is not better, ask the NHL.

3. How many of your friends/coworkers could name the teams in the NBA playoffs after Lakers, Celtics, Cleveland?

4. RTS - one further, I bet Vick is sitting in the ATL thinking he should have just raped some college girls instead of killed those dogs. Too obvious?

5. The draft. In Chilly I trust?

April 21, 2010 at 9:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home