The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

December 3, 2009

RTS and Gemmy Industries Corporation

Below is an email chain between myself and Gemmy Industries Corporation. It is not funny, but just in case someone from the outside world stumbles on this it is worth it. Maybe I am just bitter because my day started having to deal with Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna and the doctors office. As you can imagine that was just a miserable experience.

First email, after I have contacted them through their website, Gemmy.com

NOTE: This is an automated email. Please do not reply to this email.
Dear XXXX,
Thank you for contacting Gemmy Customer Support. You have submitted the following information:
or Question:Parts - Missing/ReplacementIf other, please enter that here:
Where did you purchase:Walgreens
When did you purchase?:2008
Please describe your issue or question:I purchased an Airblown Infalatable 4 ft tall Santa, item # 11695, at the end of the holiday season at Walgreens in 2008. As it was the end of the holiday season, this weekend is the first time I attempted to set it up. The adapter, the 2 tether ropes, the tether stakes and base stakes were missing. Please let me know what I can do to obtain these missing parts so that we may enjoy the inflatable Santa.
Regards,
XXXX
A member our customer support team will contact you shortly.
Thanks,Gemmy Customer Support

No one contacted me. I contacted them again:

I know this is an automated email and it says do not reply, but what the heck... Anything on the inquiry I filed with you? How can I get the replacement parts listed below.

Gemmy responds (take a hike kid, paraphrased):
Dear Gemmy Customer, Gemmy Industries no longer carries replacement power supplies or other electronic parts for items made prior to 2009. In the event you have misplaced the power supply or power cord for a Gemmy product, please check the product instruction sheet for the voltage rating and other relevant power source information. Once you have confirmed the correct information, replacement power supplies can be found at local electronic stores including Radio Shack and Fry’s Electronics and online at Amazon.com and at the following online e-retailer http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/switching-ac-dc-supply.html. Best regards, Gemmy Industries Corporation

How about the stakes I was shorted?

David McIntyre responds: Unfortunately we do not stock replacement parts for all items that we produce. For those parts we do offer, availability is subject to quantities on hand. At this time the part you require is not available. Though we do routinely re-order replacement parts from our factories overseas, these orders are placed in the first quarter of each new year and distributed to consumers while supplies last. When parts arrive, customers are notified by e-mail. If you are interested in being placed on our e-mail notification list, please provide your name, address, daytime phone number, and valid e-mail address and we will contact you as soon as parts are become available. Thank you, Gemmy Industries Corporation

I respond:
I have to admit, I am not really pleased right now as I have a worthless inflatable Santa. In case you do receive any of the parts I was shorted, the adapter, any of the stakes or tethers please put me on the list XXXX. My next step is to write a letter to Walgreens.

David McIntyre reponds:

Noted

Shame on me for not opening this thing up last year, Gemmy can screw themselves for shorting me in the first place and providing absolutely no customer service or support. I even had to contact them twice for them to go tell me to take a hike.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

RTS - You and I need to form an organization; I recently approached DTK about being my "advisor" as I wanted to go to "City Hall" to have them change the contractor it uses for recycling which requires me to sort plastics, paper, and glass and when I don't or I accidentally put something in that isn't 'recycleable' I get a nasty note from them and sometimes they don't take all my stuff.

But I digress, this is about you and Gemmy Industries Corporation (terrific name!) I loved this part especially: "Please let me know what I can do to obtain these missing parts so that we may enjoy the inflatable Santa." I see you and the family on the front lawn with frowns in front of the sad, deflated Santa.

BTW - that "email notification list" that David McIntyre dangled out there for you as some sort of "solution" is really a file drawer up his ass.

December 3, 2009 at 3:05 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

One less functioning inflatable lawn ornament is a good thing.

- Scrooge

Be sure to get on some consumer websites/blogs and bash the hell out of Gemmy, then forward links of same to David McIntyre with a note saying "Thanks for your helpfulness and chipper service attitude. Here's how I've spread the good word about how well your company takes care of its customers."

December 3, 2009 at 3:49 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

How come I'm picturing Clark Griswold right now taking that inflatable santa out of its box with all the missing parts?

Good work RTS. I can't tell you how many companies/brands that I've totally sworn off from ever doing business with again.. and what makes me the most upset about it is that none of them seem to care when I say..."that's the last time I buy an inflatable santa (or similar) from you"

December 3, 2009 at 7:45 PM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

RTS-
I strongly suggest that you create a sign with "Gemmy" and a swastika and go marching around their headquarters. And get David Mcintyre on the phone and record it so you can post it. Maybe make another sign that says "Is David McIntyre a Child Molester?". He can't sue you because youre not saying he is one. In fact, you can defend yourself by saying you wanted to put it out there so you can say affirmatively that he is NOT. Also, I like "Why won't Gemmy denounce Nazi Atrocities?"

December 3, 2009 at 11:11 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 4, 2009 at 7:43 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Seeing as I still do not have replacement parts, I decided to fire Gemmy one last email. What do I have to lose, they have already told me to scram.

Dear David McIntyre,

I went to check the instruction sheet to find out the voltage as instructed. I was shorted those as well. If this is such an easy part to replace that I can pick it up at FRY's or Radio shack, how come you can't tell me what part it is? I provided the item #? Do you not know what kind of adapter it is? Also, are you seriously telling me that you completely re-engineered your inflatable Santas this year and that none of the adapter replacement parts that fit this years infalatables will work? Also, none of the stakes for this years inflatables will hold down the Santa that I purchased a year ago? I mean seriously we are talking about plastic inflatables not collector car parts. This is pure laziness and terrible customer service on Gemmy's part. You got your money and now you don't care. Just know that my children were very disappointed when we went to put up the Santa, but could not because we were shorted nearly everything. This is completely unacceptable.

Regards,

XXXX

December 4, 2009 at 7:48 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

RTS - I don't think you're done with this yet. David McIntyre doesn't know what he's in for; he ignored the wrong 35 year old father trying to bring Christmas to his daughter.

Honestly, DTK's suggestion of carrying a sign: "Is David McIntyre a Child Molester?" is pretty good. I'm gonna guess he's had those made before just insert "John Kerry" with "David McIntyre."

December 4, 2009 at 9:04 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Does this saga remind anyone of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles just minus the Plans, Trains, and Automobiles and add "inflatable Christmas tree"?

December 4, 2009 at 9:05 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

If I receive no response, the next stop is:

President - Jason McCann

Gemmy Industries Corporation
117 Wrangler Dr.
Coppell, TX 75019
TX Tel. 972-538-4200
Fax 972-538-4242

December 4, 2009 at 9:42 AM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

you need to go above his head. David McIntrye is just a cog in the grind wheel that is a major holiday conglomerate like Gemmy. He lost his fire for job a long time ago. David McIntyre is exactly what's wrong with American business today. I am guessing when Mr. Gemmy started the company 25 years ago, he delivered a special holdiay season to his customers because he knew they were special. Now, this sack of horseshit is literally spitting in your face. He needs to be terminated, or frankly, he will help drag america down into the sea of mediocrity that is Europe. So you owe it to AMerica to ride him out of town.

Look, this is Gemmy's 25th annniversary of providing quality inflatable holiday entertainment. They don't want it fucked up by angering their loyal clientele. Write to the President and include a picture of your children crying.

December 4, 2009 at 11:33 AM

 
Blogger MCA said...

side note, to whomever posted the link re: Cretin winning the state football tournament over Eden Prairie: I read in the Strib while home for Thanksgiving that EP's won the football title 6 times in the last 10 or 12 years. So I think they're the undisputed kings right now, not the Alma Mater of Every Famous Athletic Figure in Minnesota History.

Now back to The People of FTLoSBW v. Gemmy Industries...

December 4, 2009 at 4:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home