The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

November 29, 2009

The Great Debate: 1998 versus 2009

Souhan has a good breakdown comparing the 98 offense versus the 2009 attack. It's interesting to think about which was better and which you would rather have. I like to think about this type of debate because it's much more interesting than comparing which Presidency was more devastating to our nation, Bush's first term or Bush's second term (that was for you, RTS).

This is basically what he says:

Running Back:
Smith and LeRoy Hoard v. Peterson/Chester
Winner: 2009 (Smith became a great all around back, but Purple Jesus is well...Purple Jesus)

Receiver:
Moss/Carter/Reed v. Berrian/Rice
Winner: 1998 (hard to argue against 3 deep with two future HOFers)

Line:
McDaniel led great line v. Hutchinson led great line
Winner: 1998 (McDaniel and Hutch both future HOFers, but 98 line had more experience)

TE:
Andrew Glover (i bet you forgot - but he had pretty good numbers) v. Shiancoe
Winner: 2009

Spec Teams/hybrid receiver
David Palmer v. Percy
Winner: 2009 (Percy is awesome)

QB:
Comeback player of the year Randall Cunningham v. Comeback player of the year Favre
Winner: 2009 (Randall was awesome, but pretty much he justhad to chuck it down field and let 3 deep make a play. Favre's numbers are mostly better and he's just better).

Kicker :
He didn't list this one, but I'd take Longwell over Gary. Gary didn't miss all year, but anything over 45 yards was always a squeaker. Longwell is consistent and a much stronger leg. (notice I didn't mention the only kick that mattered. I don't blame you Gary. I blame John Madden for jinxing you and Robert Smith for being a total pussy, and denny green for being so fat and gross)

That 1998 offense was so explosive and so dominating, but it was also streaky and volatile. I feel like this group is just now hitting its stride and is much more even keel. The bottom line is, I think the 98 group led by.....well, I don't know, I guess Cris Carter sort of.....was better and more likely to put up 45 points. But I'd rather have the Favre led 2009 group. I really would. If for nothing else, i think this team is going into games thinking "we want to beat you" whereas the 98 team went into games thinking "we are better than you". I guess I'd rather be hungry than full.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Picking between offensive positions and "who was better" is pointless - both offenses had/have dynamic playmakers who were/are playing behind a stout offensive line. However, it's clear after watching Favre run this offense that he is the difference. Both offenses could score points, this offense does it methodically with sustained/back-breaking drives that eat up clock and keep a good defense on the sidelines rested

(note: we should contrast and compare defenses)

November 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

How about the 91 Blake Bears vs the 2009 Vikings:

QB: Andrew A Vs Brett Favre. The '90 Andrew A and his 3 Ints a game still haunt me. I go with the 2009 Vikes.

RB: Tom S and Nik B Vs AP and Chester. Tom S could throw quite the party and the Norwegian Nightmare was the best Blake had seen since Taylor B or the '89 Bears. I still go with the 2009 Vikes.

Line: Alex B eventually played in the NFL and was once on the Vikings roster. The fact that he did not stick with them tends to lean me towards the 2009 Vikes.

WRs: John N, Sam S, Alex F and S. Albert H, Tim K- more quantity than quality. I go with the 2009 Vikes.

TE: DTK vs Shiancoe. DTK was All-state honorable mention or something like that. Played D-III and would have had a monster career if his shins were not constantly failing him. Single handedly handed Marcus Harris (look him up, he was a college stud at Wyoming, then discovered jesus or something and gave it all up) his ass 4 plays in a row. I go with DTK.

I know it was a lot of build up just to take a shot a DTK.

The game was on down here yesterday. The precision with which they picked apart the D was amazing. I would rather have this O over the 1998 team. I like not having to rely on the big play. I like being able to consistantly put together drives. I think that it is much harder to shut down an O based on drives than big plays. It is hard to shut this team down 3 plays in a row.

Anyone else see when they cut to Chilly in the locker room after the game and Favre was dropping his pants?

The fact that Kaylee Wong would have to be mentioned with the 98 team makes me believe that I would go with the 2009 Vikes.

November 30, 2009 at 7:47 AM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

I don't think it's pointless at all. What if Jesus comes back and says "before I set you all free, (or whatever it is he does), I want you to help me assemble the best offense in a game versus Mohammed, and we have to pick between the 1998 and 2009 Vikings. Winner gets the 21st century. Give me your breakdown in 30 seconds." If you haven't prepared you're going to stammer like a fool before Jesus H. Christ.

Now you will have thought about it.

RTS - I appreciate you pointing out "The Stand" against Marcus Harris. Four shots to the end zone against the Bears at our house? I don't think so. I like to think i looked a lot like a young Carl Lee, with more forearm tape.

November 30, 2009 at 8:02 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Oh and regarding DTK's little shot at me. The first term was better for sticker sales, although both terms were pretty lucrative. I would say the stickers sales are a pretty accurate measure of the harm being done.

I am under water on about 980 Obama parody stickers. You need to get your right wing friends to buy some and help put some extra change in my pocket.

November 30, 2009 at 8:06 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

DTK, I have that film as well as the Breck playoff game where we score 3 times in 5 offensive plays. I sometimes wank it to them remembering the glory days. It is a miracle you did not go right to the pros after that series. I will trade you a copy of the BC game for that homemade wholesomeness that is in your possesion.

November 30, 2009 at 8:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home