The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

December 8, 2009

Let's talk some baseball

With the first winter storm of the season raging outside, my thoughts are already in Fort Myers as I look forward to the cliched "pitchers and catchers report" story on the local news. We've got 4 months until opening day, give or take, and it is exciting to be a Twins fan (well, at least its fun to dream of what you would do if you owned the Twins.) What are we in for? Another off-season of nothing exciting? Minor moves? Major moves? The JJ Hardy deal was a good as previously discussed (btw, I googled "JJ Hardy" and "JJ Hardy's girlfriend" was an option.) Twins have decided to go with Pavano and designated Boof for "assignment or release" which basically means "aloha"; honestly someone who legally changes his name to "Boof" and posts a 5.12 career ERA won't be missed that much, right? I like Pavano, not sure what he's got left in the tank at this point but like the veteran leadership plus is there anyone out there you really want and think we could legitimately sign? While we'll be without Red Dog for next year I think that's a positive. We missed out on the Sean Figgins (sorry, 'Chone' is such a weird spelling) but I've heard both Adrian Beltre and Troy Glaus' names as possible replacements.

Elephant in the room remains Joe MVPauer. I listened to the "Sid and Dave" on Sunday morning as they interviewed Joe who had just gotten out of a deer stand that morning. Same story "I like it here, I'm a Twin, yada, yada, yada it will take care of itself." Sid was busy lobbying with "Joe, you are a terrific young man; you're a great ballplayer but you are a really good person and your family should be proud" - note to Sid Hartman "you and your schtick are old."

8 Comments:

Blogger MCA said...

Jan, that's nice of you to spell Figgins' name correctly. I guess I'm cruel to do so, but I always keep the bizarre spelling and just correct the pronunciation to match it. Which, really, isn't fair to Chone, it's punishing him for his parent's mistake. I think I feel guilty about this now, knowing that you're so much more gracious.

We were never going to get him, as his price was way too high, although I'm not that terribly worried about it. I suspect he's peaked, he's got a career .750 or so OPS which is nice but certainly nothing to write home about, and his stolen bases numbers should start dropping the next couple years.

How psyched are we to have Granderson leaving the AL Central? This division is us and the White Sox next year, and they've got major lineup issues.

I'd prioritize things thusly for the Twins this offseason:

1. Sign Mauer
2. Sign Mauer
3. Sign Mauer
4. Add a front of the rotation starter for playoff purposes
5. Get a third baseman; I'd probably settle for Crede and what's his name, our stud 3B prospect, getting some time, so long as we
6. solve 2B.

December 9, 2009 at 8:57 AM

 
Blogger BG said...

Seriously, if we don't extend Mauer, it will go down as the biggest shank in MN sports history (at least since Gary Anderson's). I get the sense Mauer isn't looking for reasons to leave, but if we don't get moving on a competitive offer, he'll start to get a wandering, Tiger Woods-esque eye. Again, I will take DTK's pathfinder and run down Bill Smith myself if he doesn't get this done.

Re: 2nd base...are we moving the pirahna (Punto) there? Have we officially given up on Casilla?

Glaus/Beltre makes me think Tony Batista...maybe we're all just jaded, but I don't know if either of them would work out. It seems both were clearly on roids, given their injury history and performance the last couple years. I guess I'd take Crede, since we kind of know what we'll get from him (not much, but probably at a cheaper price).

December 9, 2009 at 2:20 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Just to be clear, in no way was I advocating Beltre and Glaus. BG is right, they are a little, eh, inconsistent?

Rumor now is we're pursuing Kevin Kouzmanoff and that we're still interested in signing Jared Washburn.

MCA - totally glad to see Granderson leave. He hit something like 30 dongs in last year.

December 9, 2009 at 7:53 PM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

I am completely confident they will sign mauer. Why, you ask? My answer has two parts. First, who are you to question me? This is a blog. So I feel free to state my opinion with virtually no backup statements or facts. In fact, its encouraged. Also, this isn't Russia. This is america, and I think we all know my feelings about america. For those of you who don't: I love america. It means everything to me. I once had sex with america outside a truckstop in aberdeen. I think it was america. Looking back, it's a little foggy.

Second, I think Mauer wants to be here and i think he's willing to take less than he could get from other places and I think the Twins know full well what will happen if they let him go. They can't pay him yankee money but they aren't broke either. Maybe I just want to believe that there are a few, and a very few, players who don't see their whole career as a stepping stone to getting paid by the yankees. Maybe I'm naieve and wait....did i bang some dude outside a truckstop in aberdeen? what the fu...anyway. until i see bad faith from the twins, mauer or shapiro, i'm going to choose to see the better side of this team, this player and this state and just trust that it will work out.

December 9, 2009 at 8:49 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

DTK, As previously discussed on here and stated by Morneau,the fear of losing Mauer is not to money but to the perceived ability to win a WS. If Joe does not think he can win it in Minny he would go elsewhere. I still think they get it done. Thank god the Twins play in the Centarl where you can have s shot to make the playoffs year after year. If we were the Orioles or th BJays in the east it would be see you later alligator.

I think that was actually the corpse of a dead moose you hooked up with. Not only did you nail it, you stuck your tongue in the holiest of holes. That is what happens when you just decide one day that you are going to be a "Jack" man. You should stick to those wine spritzers.

December 10, 2009 at 9:44 AM

 
Blogger LH said...

see you later alligator.. its been a long time since I've heard that phrase.

Mauer, Mauer, Mauer- is that all you guys think about? Personally, I would have loved to have seem them keep Redmond and ship Mauer out for a #3 or #4 to bolster the rotation now that Big Game Boof is gone... how are we going to fill that hole?

December 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

Good point, LH. WHen you come to the fork in the road, i always take the one that leads to the washed up old player who is a roadblock to developing new talent. Redmond is a keeper. And if he leaves, i recommend signing Gary Carter.

December 10, 2009 at 12:09 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

If Gary Carter is still available, that must mean that Laudner can still play- I'd prefer him since I still have his rookie card, and it would be nice to get a bump from the current $0.08 value it has.

New Stadium + Winning Team =$$$$$$

New Stadium + Losing Team= $

Please pay him Bill

December 10, 2009 at 1:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home