The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

September 17, 2009

Gamblor Week 3

Eventually, I will move this back to one of the side columns. Let's face it we aren't exactly churning out the posts, so I will amuse myself and hopefully at least one of you with a full post instead of just picks.

Mythical Bankroll $720

$25 GT +4 1/2 @ Miami. I am not a huge fan of this one but if I was really betting I would not lay off the Thursday game.

$50 Cal -14 @ Gophers. I know LH disagrees.

$50 UCLA -12 1/2 vs Kansas St. KSU lost to UL-LAF last week and beat UMass by 4 in week 1. UCLA won @ Tenn last week. I am guessing this line is telling me that Tenn sucks.

$50 Bowling Green -3 @ Marshall. Bowling Green choked away a big win last week and upset Troy in week one. All this stuff is priced into the line already, but I feel the need to write some justification.

$25 Middle Tennessee State +6 vs Maryland. MTSU won this one last year and Maryland has looked really bad this year.

$25 SMU (edit ty Jan) -6 @WSU I am on this one because WSU has had trouble finding a line they can cover the last 2 years.

$25 Teaser (move 'em 6, dbl juice) Moving PSU down to -23 1/2 (PSU 0-2 for me so far) and teasing up UL-LAF to +33 vs LSU.

Other Games:

N'western - 3 vs Syracuse. Is Syracuse trying to move into the Big Ten? This is their 3rd game against a Big Ten opponent.

Florida State +7 @ BYU. Everything screams BYU, but I think That Bobby Bowden's team will rise to the occasion. Everyone in a BCS conference has to be pulling for FSU in this one.

Tenn +29 1/2 vs Flor. I bet Florida takes it as high as they can, but 29 1/2 is a lot. Florida 38-10.

Parlay just for giggles: Iowa - 5.5 vs Arizona, ISU -3 @ Kent St and Georgia + 1 1/2 @ Arkansas

Iowa is not as bad as they looked in week 1 (I hope), ISU is not as bad as Iowa made them look and according to the extremely biased Georgia fans this one is already a W.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

RTS, I mean, Gamblor - I ran into John Gutekunst outside my local Shakey's pizza (he was on his way in for his shift) and he mentioned a couple issues with your picks (mind you this is the same guy who had an overall 29-37-2 record with the Maroon and Gold so . . .)

1. Southern Miss plays Virginia this weekend.

2. UCLA's starting QB is out for a month, might be why the line isn't as tasty.

Don't know if that changes things for you but it might be an indication as to why your 'mythical bankroll' is reaching (and I paraphrase) "Alexi Casilla type numbers."

September 17, 2009 at 6:47 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

Very curious to see what happens in the Florida/Tennessee game, as apparently the Gators want to hang 70 on the Vols.

UCLA can probably beat K-State with your boy Dan West at QB.

Ironically, I have heard Syracuse's name thrown out there as a possible 12th big ten team, but it'll never happen. Their basketball rivalries (and therefore, basketball revenue) are too good to walk away from in the Big East, despite the weak football conference. Let's hope my NU Wildcats make them 0-3 "in conference." Still not sure what to make of them...as Penn State didn't exactly wipe the floor with them, and the Gophers struggled to beat them. MCA's boy Paulus actually looks pretty good.

Finally...yes, I think this game will be closer than the pasting the Gophers took in Berkeley two years ago. Cal plays horribly when they travel east (this is a 9AM start on their body clocks). Unfortunately for the Gophers, they have a solid QB, good receivers and arguably the best RB in the country.

September 18, 2009 at 1:23 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

I guess I should start listening to KFAN. Like I have stated, I believe that all information out there is priced into the spread and therefore doing research would be a pointless exercise. It is probably not a coincidence that I no longer wager on these games. Let's just say I did not quit as a winner.

You are correct Southern Methodist plays WSU. I thought SMU was in the WAC or MWC. I certainly did not realize there were two teams abbreviated as SMU on covers.com for conference USA. Anyway, I let the picks stand. You can not call a bookie and say "nevermind" on those games.

September 18, 2009 at 7:29 AM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

you know, i'm new to this, so i don't want to judge. but i don't think we kicked all that ass in Iraq so you could bet on the gophers losing. if that easy and affordable campaign to install a successful and functional democracy has taught us anything, and its taught us very little, it's that anything is possible (well, that. and turns out, people don't like you invading their country) . point is, i;m taking the gophers because i'm a better american than you.

USA!! USA!!!

Oh, and Jan - you shut your mouth about Gutey. He took us to the Liberty Bowl. The LIBERTY Bowl. And signed my felt pennant at Gold Country in Dinkytown. it was made out to Ben.

September 18, 2009 at 8:19 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 18, 2009 at 8:32 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

DTK- That is awesome. Your pennant and my football honorable metion plaque with my name misspelled should be in the same trophy case.

That Liberty Bowl meant something. It was in the days before every team over .500 made a bowl game. Don't cheapen it.

Also, I checked covers and Southern Miss is abbreviated SoMiss, so I really f'ed that whole thing up. Go Mustangs!

September 18, 2009 at 8:34 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

RTS and DTK - those are great moments in FTLOSBW sports history/brushes with fame. My mom's cousin was married to Minnesota North Star enforcer and brother to two of the three Hanson bros - Jack "Big Bird" Carlson (he had a huge schnozz) and I got to meet him once in 1979.

Gophers 14
Cal 35

September 18, 2009 at 9:10 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

My brush with fame, former Gopher and Green Bay Packer Darrell Thompson. He passed out the second place Minneapolis city soccer trophies to myself and my LARC teammates. We kicked the crap out of SWAC. Take that Jan.

September 18, 2009 at 10:20 AM

 
Blogger LH said...

DTK... thank you for restoring American Pride to this blog, its long been domintated by the same leftist pinko commies that once theorized that burning fossils fuels was causing the earth to heat... thank goodness we've dispelled that myth.

Go USA
Gophers 23
Cubs 19 1/2

RTS- way to stick by your picks- whether they were mistakes or not, it still says something about your character- I'll be rooting for the mustangs this weekend.

I heart Darrell Thompson and Rickie Foggie- that was my gopher team

September 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 20, 2009 at 8:26 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Down the juice, $20, bringing the bankroll down to $700. The parlay hit, no money, that was unexpected.

September 20, 2009 at 8:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home