The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

June 17, 2009

The Reign of McHale is finally over....

I know the T-wolves aren't followed with much passion on this blog (deservedly so, for their ineptness), but I wanted to express some relief that McHale is finally gone. The ironic thing is that I think he was a decent coach. I know he was well liked by his players, and he was seemingly getting people on board before Jefferson blew out his knee last year. I believe the problem was more that he didn't (still doesn't) have the right pieces to work with, but of course, who is the single most person responsible having no true point guard, 15 athletic tweeners- instead of a real shooting guard and a starting front court that measures no more than 6'8"?
That's right kids. McHale made awful GM decisions... just awful. He should have been fired years ago for putting this franchise in the predicament that it currently is in- again, he was just awful.

On another note, getting back to our favored Twins.. here's an article on Young that I thought was interesting- kind of a contrast to Reusse's that Jan posted the other day http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/notebook?page=bbtn. I think I'm on board with Gammon's assessment- call me an optimist, but I think what he said makes a lot more sense than Reusse- I certainly respect his baseball opinion more.

4 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

LH- I agree witrh everything you said about McHale. I guess that would be because you are my source for news on the Wolves.

I just read an article about MMA fighters (followed even less than the NBA on here, which I completely understand why) that run into the same issue. Basically, if a fighter has a a couple of exciting KO's early in their career they get moved to the higher echlon quick. At the same time a guy that wins a couple of decisions might not get fast tracked and gets the chance to develop a skill set that will help him become the better fighter in the long run.

Whether talking about baseball or MMA, the arguement certainly makes more sense than someone is just not willing to learn or have lost the desire to succeed.

June 17, 2009 at 12:34 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

Dang, I was wondering where that was going. Nicely tied together. I'll definitely give the Gammons piece a read (assuming it's not an ESPN "Insider" thing).

Too bad about McHale, but obviously it was long since time to move on. Actually, the longer he stayed with the Wolves the more difficult he was making it for people to choose to remember him for his playing career instead of mixing it in with the management career. His legacy got more and more tarnished with every passing season, so at least there's not that anymore.

Speaking of GM's, did the Wild get one yet? Jan, looking your direction. Also, what's the pulse on the new Wolves front office?

June 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

LH - Thanks for the comment on the Woofies because I couldn't do it. I'll say this, the incoming GM was extremely gracious in his comments about McHale saying this was a sad day and that McHale did a lot for the franchise etc. (not sure really what he did but. . .) I do feel like the organization has turned a page but let's see what happens in the draft.

MCA - The Wild did get their coach, don't think they hired a GM yet. Their new coach, Todd Richards, is a Minnesota boy who played at U. He's "one of us."

June 17, 2009 at 9:13 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

Didn't the wild hire some dude named Fletcher to be the GM?

BTW, I heard a rumor that the wolves are considering a Jefferson for Stoudamire deal...which would be AWFUL! The new GM is saying the right things, but apparently he was the 3rd or 4th choice, as several people turned down the job. Sweet. Just glad the McHale era is over, although ironically, I think he was a decent coach (as LH said). Too much baggage, though.

Oh, and on the topic of our favorite "retired" QB, it's looking more and more like a foregone conclusion, assuming he can still throw after his arm heals.

June 18, 2009 at 12:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home