The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

June 10, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me

Yes, it's my birthday and for one day out of the year I am king of the world.

Lowlights of the birthday so far:

1. As the clock struck midnight last night I was tossing and turning. I knew the Twins were up 9-0 or something so what could go wrong? I flipped over to FSN to watch Baker pitch a complete game shut out when . . . what the F! Nathan gets a save? Honestly.

2. A friend and I were going to play 18 this morning. My friend bailed. I played. My friend is lame. Note: get new friend.

3. The Favre drama continues. Chilly called in to KFAN this morning and said the deadline thing never happened. What distraction?

4. It's rainy and about 65 right now.

5. I'm 35 today & I am unemployed.

Highlights

1. I played 18 holes of golf this morning.

2. My daughter is a happy little girl and here for my 35th birthday.

3. I'm not sitting at a cube or desk in front of a computer screen in a job/career that I have tried to convince myself is what "I should be doing" when I really want to scream out loud "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

10 Comments:

Blogger MCA said...

Dude, Happy Birthday. Glad to hear Ilsa's doing well. How's the screenplay coming along? When do I get to read a draft?

June 10, 2009 at 12:37 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 10, 2009 at 1:39 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

Another year already? I remember it like yesterday when a wide-eyed, bushy tailed, 28yr old Jan walked into 3M auditorium full of life, optimism and movie quotes... my how time passes by quickly.

Happy Birthday my friend- I wish you a year full of happiness and continued discovery.

I just twittered to Mauer that it was your birthday, he tweeted back that if you show up in Chicago he will a home run for you (ala Babe Ruth and that sick kid)... so that would be pretty cool.

June 10, 2009 at 1:39 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Happy Birthday. It was 19 years to this day that I began mooching rides. I am gald to hear you are in good spirits. I think with each birthday a lot of people, including myself, feel a little bit more like Randy "The Ram" Robinson.

June 10, 2009 at 1:56 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

Gentlemen, in honor of Jan's birthday I'm taking the next few days off... I do this every year around his birthday- and I don't see why this year should be any different.

MCA, for security reasons, I'll have Jan send me your number and then I'll text you on Saturday-hopefully you'll be able to meet out for a beer.

Jan, hope to see you in Chicago.

June 10, 2009 at 5:57 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

Dude - I am a dong. We were on the phone for 45 minutes and I didn't realize it was June 10th, which I know to be your birthday, partially because of its proximity to mine. So, happy birthday, stud!

Anyway, I can't believe you also didn't mention playing golf this morning. That rules.

If I had your attitude toward life, I would bail from work at Noon tomorrow, drive 10 miles up the freeway to the Oakland coliseum and take in the Twins/A's game.

BTW, i enjoyed my first Twins game in a while tonight. Such a simple pleasure...we were down 3-2 going into the 8th, but Kubel homered to tie it, then in the 9th, we opened a can, beginning with a Crede triple, a Delmon single and a few wild pitches.

June 10, 2009 at 11:59 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Thanks for the well wishes gents, maybe it's me but it's always nice to hear "happy birthday."

So, Twins win 2 games on June 10th (technically speaking.) Maybe that bodes well for my upcoming year.

Looks like I won't be in Chicago this weekend. Sorry, can't swing it right now. I will be watching on t.v. for the 2 "Circle Me Bert I'm from FTLOSBW" signs.

BTW - upcoming June birthday's for this blog = RTS and BG.

June 11, 2009 at 8:42 AM

 
Blogger MCA said...

This cowboy is terrible with remembering birthdays, so I'd like to just wish both RTS and BG happy birthdays now. Thanks for the reminder, jan. Enjoy your weekend in the Twin Cities. We'll be sitting close to the Ferris Bueller seats, so look for MCA, Dad of MCA and Friend of Blog Lucas there.

June 11, 2009 at 10:07 AM

 
Blogger BG said...

Absolutely hideous loss today. Blowing a 3-run lead in the bottom of the 8th is painful...Let's hope they have the memory of a cornerback or closer and come out sizzing against the Cubs.

June 11, 2009 at 6:04 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Does anyone know the Twins record in 1 run games this year, or more specifically 1 run games on the road?

June 12, 2009 at 8:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home