The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

January 7, 2008

Gopher Hoops - A moral victory?


So, the Gophers played Michigan State on Saturday night and came up short losing 65 to 59. This is the same squad that got blown out by 25+ last year to Michigan State. So, is this a moral victory? Are we 'for real'? Tom Izzo seems to think so: "I have to give a lot of credit to Raymar Morgan, to Kalin Lucas and to Tubby Smith. Even though we outrebounded them by 20, I felt they took it to us physically. That team is for real."

Also, I loved this picture of Tubby? Do you think he wants to win?

3 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

My motto has been "Iowa all the time" as far as choosing a team to root for when Iowa and Minny play. I know BG goes with the "whoever needs the win more" criteria. However with basketball, I might actually go with the Gophers all the time. Something for me to work out.

I guess I would need to know more to say yes or no to the moral victory. We're they trailing by double digits and only made it close in the final minutes? Did the threaten to win the game? We're we constantly trailing by six and just made a good game of it? If it was either the 2 or 3choice I say yes.

January 7, 2008 at 1:13 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

To each of the four ?'s:

1. Yes
2. No
3. Not really a question
4. Yes

rts, MSU shot 50% in the first half but were only up 7. They extended to 13 in the 2nd half but the Gophs cut it to a 1-point lead at one point. Couldn't get over the hump, but coming back against the conference favorite like that is enough for me to call it a moral win. Didn't expect much on the road against the conference favorites, anyway - figured this was a 20-point loss waiting to happen.

January 7, 2008 at 2:57 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

If nothing else Tubby has them playing all out, hard-nosed defense...which, in college sports, will be enough to win a lot of games. Clearly they do not have the same athletes that the top-tier teams have, so they're going to have to do it with effort... I think this was a very positive step and a nice answer to the recent UNLV schlacking.

January 8, 2008 at 10:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home