The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

December 19, 2007

Gopher Hoops - headed back to the barn

Guys,

I noticed that one of you voted for "Tubby takes the Gophers back to the dance" as your Christmas wish (it actually wasn't me, despite my Dad's obsession with the team). Anyway, since I'm headed to the game on Saturday at Williams Arena, I figured I'd get everyone fired up about the FUTURE of the squad. As you probably heard, Tubby hauled in a pretty solid recruiting class (consensus top 20-30 in the nation). This Youtube video is a highlight reel of the most high-profile among them, Ralph Sampson III. I'm sure it was edited carefully to showcase every facet of his game, but I got pretty excited when I saw him actually use a few low post moves, hit the mid-range bank shot (a la Tim Duncan) and knock down a couple of threes. Very encouraging, especially after watching Dan Coleman and Spencer Tollackson underachieve for the last three years. This kid could be absolutely ruling the paint in the Big Ten in a couple years. I can't wait to watch him stuff all those goonish, crew-cutted clones at Wisconsin.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g330I1FIZY

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger MCA said...

He looks a little verticality challenged, but I like the strong drop step move.

I'm more excited about the off guard from Toronto. You can't get anywhere in college basketball these days without solid backcourt play.

December 20, 2007 at 10:24 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

MCA, I thought the same thing about his jumping ability. This dude is 6'11"? Looks like he has lead in his shoes. That said, he is as big as a house for a 17 year old and like BG alluded, he will dominate the low post in the Big Ten. Did you see Reusse's article today on KU fans turning on their coach and calling out Tubby for why they suck this year? Idiots.

Gauck, I assume you are going with Daisy? Or is you and the Chucker? Has your dad kissed Tubby yet?

December 20, 2007 at 12:54 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

Going with Chuck to the game. Daisy and my mom are going to the Walker or something...

Chuck definitely has a little man-love waiting for Tubby at some point.

December 20, 2007 at 4:25 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

BG - Need update on all things Barn-releated before you leave for India. Is the magic back?

Shiiiikenjjjannnnskiiii!!!

December 26, 2007 at 10:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home