The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

January 7, 2008

My Experience Voting in the Iowa Caucus

This probably could have been a reply to another post about the Iowa Caucus but I wanted to make sure you suckers read it, so I started my own post. In college I did actually vote in the Iowa Caucus. It was the campaign leading up to the eventual meeting of Clinton and Dole, I voted Clinton that year. At the time, I figured it was a once in a lifetime chance. Now, with my loathing of people reaching all time highs, Iowa might not be a bad place to move back to.

It was widely accepted that Clinton was going to run away with the Dem side, so I went to the Republican Caucus figuring there would be a little more action, I am using that term very loosely. I had to register as a Republican, sign away my soul and then was allowed into the school. Dole was the heavy favorite and Alex P. Keaton and the young Republican's club were there in full force with their Dole buttons and collared shirts and sweaters. We sat in a class room and there was a definite starting time for the caucus. Once that time arrived, everyone was given a chance to speak for their candidate. There was nothing really insightful said, kind of like pre-game football talk "i like my team and I think they will win." After the speeches we voted and that was that. I voted for Steve Forbes. It was clear Dole was going to win, so I thought I would be different and throw my vote towards the mad man, a method I still sometimes use (No, I was not in Minnesota when Jesse won.) I think the results were Dole, Alexander (remember that guy- ABC Alexander beats Clinton) followed by Forbes.

Dawn's experience was completely different as she was in a different precinct. It followed what I would consider normal voting, you show, you cast a vote, you leave. There were no speeches on behalf of candidates or anything like that. It took her all of 5 minutes, where mine was probably more than an hour.

From my experience the whole thing was kind of a farce. There was no uniformity and the candidates that come out on top are many times crushed soon after (see ABC). Obviously, I did not do my part to the help legitimize the whole thing either.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Chuck, interesting. Never knew you took part in the Iowa political process. I feel like the young republican's you were surrounded by must have been totally pumped and sounded like the Spirit Bunnies from "Fast Times at Rigdemont High" (paste this link = http://www.listal.com/video/1015944)

January 7, 2008 at 12:01 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 7, 2008 at 1:00 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

mmmm...Phoebe Cates...#1 Ranked scene on Mr. Skin. Great flick, best line "My dad is a television repairman. he has the ultimate set of tools, I can fix this."

January 7, 2008 at 1:14 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

1. The Iowa caucus system is bizarre, anachronistic, and detrimental to the idea of a nationwide democracy. Every four years I'm astonished that we let Iowans and New Hampshirers (-ites?) have exclusive control over who runs for president.

2. Who cares? It may have just launched Obama into orbit on his way to the presidency. Also putting to rest (a) the prospect of 24-28 consecutive years of Bushes and Clintons in the White House, and (b) the 40-year stranglehold Boomers and their Vietnam, culture-war obsessed politics have had on our national governance and rhetorical mindset. Buh-bye.

January 7, 2008 at 2:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home