The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

November 29, 2007

Shout out to Gerald Gill


I found out the other day that my college advisor Professor Gerald Gill passed away this summer. Dr. Gill was the reason I studied history in college and why I concentrated on American History, particularly African American History. As a freshman I took "U.S. in the 20th Century" taught by Gill. In a class of 60+ I was a bit intimidated to raise my hand and join the discussion. However, one brave day, I sheepishly put my hand up to ask a question. Dr. Gill called on me by name. Now, I had never said 'boo' to him previously, there was no reason he should have known who I was but he did. I remember leaving the classroom that day, saying 'goodbye' to Dr. Gill as if I had found a new best friend and deciding to major in history. From then on I sought out Gill's classes and my eyes were opened to parts of American History that I never knew about and would never have exposed to otherwise. My sophomore year I asked Gill to be my advisor; thankfully he accepted. The summer between my junior and senior year Dr. Gill got me an internship at WGBH (PBS affiliate in Boston) to do research on the documentary "Africans in America," a tremendous opportunity that I cherish to this day. Getting to know Dr. Gill it was pretty easy to figure out he was also a sports fan. I always found it humorous that on his office door he had a newspaper clipping with the headline something to the effect of "Gill scores 30 in Seattle win" (Kendall Gill would have been proud to hang on that door.) He was a terrific educator, motivator, and mentor. He will be missed.


Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

I must say, going to a big university and being the kind of student I was, I never had that kind of connection with a prof. Good for you you and him for forming that kind of bond.

I guess my closest experience was with an econ prof. He was an absolute dick. Turned out he was just miserable because he was a woman in a man's body. He had gender reassignment surgery shortly after I graduated. More power to her, but my time in his class sucked.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1568/is_7_31/ai_57815505

November 30, 2007 at 7:54 AM

 
Blogger BG said...

Per - makes total sense why you concentrated on Afro-American studies now. I always wondered how that happened. Seems like he was a great guy...

November 30, 2007 at 10:49 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

Per, that's fantastic. Like Chuck, I also had very few relationships with professors that went beyond brief discussions after class, and have always been jealous of peers who were friends with their profs. Sorry to hear of his passing. Sounds like he was a real inspiration.

December 2, 2007 at 11:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home