The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

September 1, 2009

Can you guess who is back? Gamblor!

I am giddy with anticipation for the games this weekend as evidenced by my recent re-subscription to the Big Ten Network. As you all know college football is my number one sport. Before I lay out my week one picks, I am going to stand on my soapbox and preach for a minute. Like I said it is my favorite sport, but gosh darn it I can not watch the preseason hype. The speculation of Florida running the table, the speculation that Tim Tebow will win the Heisman, the speculation that Notre Dame is going to make the BCS and that the same perennial 25 powers are ranked in the top 25 is all more than I can take. All the speculation is crap. What expert picked Mississippi over Florida last year? Or Oregon State over USC? No one, and that is what makes these upsets so much fun. Let's let the f'n season play out. Everything is so focused on where teams will be at the end of the year and not who is on the schedule next. In my mind it should be about the journey not the destination.

This is the rubber year for picks. I was up last year and down the first year. But 1 week at a time...
Week 1 picks, mythical bankroll $1000

$100 PSU -27 vs Akron I knew I was betting on PSU before I knew who they were playing or how many points they were giving. They play cupcakes every year and tend to run it up.

$50 Georgia +5 1/2 @ Ok St Ok St has blown against top level opponents. I'll take the points.

$50 Teaser LSU -11 1/2 and Gophers -1/2 (move the spreads 6 and pay double juice if I lose) LSU is a 17 1/2 point favorite @ Wash. Wash won 1 game last year against Idaho. LSU must be down or the travel factor is pulling the line down. Something seems fishy so I will tease them down. I like the Gophers @Syracuse but not by the 6 1/2. I'll tease it down and all they have to do is win.

Other games and comments:

  • Illinois -7 vs Missouri Missouri must have lost a lot from last year.
  • Tennessee -30 vs Western Kentucky I bet Kiffen is dick and therefore Tenn covers this one
  • Notre Dame -14 vs Nevada My heart wants me to bet on Nevada
  • WF -2 vs Baylor If I was going to have 4 bets WF would be my 4th.
  • Ohio St - 21 1/2 vs Navy I am a sucker for the big favorites, I probably should be on OSU
  • Wash St +17 vs Stanford Sure WSU won only1 game last year ( vs 1 win Wash), but should Stanford be favored by 17 over anyone?
  • Boise St -4 vs Oregon Fantastic game! Who scheduled this one for 10:00 EST on a Thursday? I don't want to hear any west coast fans bitching that no one sees their games. This could easily be played on Saturday evening or afternoon.

2 Comments:

Blogger BG said...

I love college football, too. Can't wait for the season to start. I don't know if I like the NFL or college more...the crazy upsets and the pageantry and the bond with your classmates, etc. is what makes college ball great. But I also love the NFL. Call me boring, but I like the parity, and that some team (see Arizona) sneaks into the playoff discussion out of nowhere every year. I also like FFL...and being the front-runner that I am, if you have a competitive team (a la the Vikings the last couple years) it's even better. Same goes for college. When NU and the Gophers are competitive, there is nothing better than settling in for an afternoon (or a morning, for me) of Big Ten games, followed by some SEC beatdown in the afternoon.

Nice blown save today, Joe Nathan. Yuck...2 outs in the top of the 9th and he gives up two solo dongs?!?

Read this...it'll make you feel better.

http://deadspin.com/5346936/why-your-team-sucks-green-bay-packers

September 2, 2009 at 3:55 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Sweet start -230. PSU was too dominant, up 31-0 at the half having only allowed 8 yards. That is the risk of betting on heavy favorites. Georgia just did not come through. Gophers were a good tease but LSU was not. Teasing teams always begs the question, why not just bet on the other teams at the original spread?

September 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home