The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

February 19, 2009

The Dose: A return?

It's been a while since this column, now that I am Mr. Mom I will try to keep it up (maybe a Friday thing?) Anyway, just some links:

  1. This is terrible and sad.
  2. On a lighter note - what is up with your Gophers? "Struggling"? Tourney in doubt? I say, 'run in the Big Ten Tourney." I'm going to on Sunday when BG's f'ing Wilcats come to Seis Uno Dos; I'll be the guy cheering for the Gophers. BG, can you say the same thing?
  3. This says it all. Speaks directly to how when things are communicated within a vaccuum people can say easy things hard.
  4. I took my dog for a walk today. While it was 16 degrees, there was a bright blue sky and the hint, ever so slight, of Spring. Yes, Spring. The sun is a little higher now, we had a stretch of upper 30's last week so you can see the grass in some spots, song birds were out singing and I got excited about this.
  5. When do you think the NFL gets a ruling on the Williams Wall?
  6. Great movie, timeless and underrated. By the way, I haven't shaved in a good 5 weeks.

4 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

So is the beard coming in or are you still Mr. Bigglesworth?

Sad about Vern Gagne. My grandfather dealt with him in some capacity. He never said a bad word about him. I wrestled in several tournaments that he was involved in, again came across as a good guy.

I am sure there are some easy jokes to be made, but even I can not make them.

February 20, 2009 at 10:27 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Really sad about Vern Gagne. The AWA deserves its own post on here, who didn't watch AWA wrestling? I googled "AWA" and was brought back to some familiar names: Adrian Adonis, Nick Bockwinkle, Shiek Adnan El Kassey, Ric Flair (high school classmate/friend of my in-laws, still see him around every once in a while); the names are too many who got their start under Vern. I did pick up this tidbit: I don't remember the wrestler "Col DeBeers" but I read on a blog that he was apparently introduced as "The mercenary from South Africa, champion of apartheid!" 1985, so long ago.

February 20, 2009 at 10:41 AM

 
Blogger MCA said...

Hand raised here. It probably comes as no surprise, but I never "got" professional wrestling.

Uhm, jan, that last link is to a crappy country music video on youtube. Damn you and your atrocious internet skillz. (Mr. Mom is a solid movie, though, no doubt. You watching soap operas yet?)

Trying to be excited about the Twins but finding it hard with so little done to make improvements over the offseason. I mean, there aren't even any big questions/unknowns going into the season. It's all about what level of improvement/maintaining performance we get from guys whose strengths and weaknesses we already know. Boring.

February 20, 2009 at 11:34 AM

 
Blogger BG said...

I just typed a big response and the site asked me to try again...erasing everything I wrote.

Basically: Gophers in trouble. Call to discuss. They just can't score any more. Wildcats are NIT-bound (at best), so I will be firmly in the Maroon and Gold camp. Gophs need to win their final 3 home games and they should be okay. At Illinois will be a loss.

Boring offseason for the Twins may not mean boring season, luckily. Yes, we'd love a bopper at 3rd base, but our formula should continue to work this year.

The Gagne story is really sad. Dementia is scary.

What will the Vikes do in free agency? Apparently some RT from Miami is a top target (which is good, because Cook sucks). Also, is there any chance we pick up Cassel, Garcia or trade for McNabb?

February 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home