The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

December 11, 2008

Yeah, Seriously. Punto?!?

2 years, 8+ million dollars on Little Nicky to be our starting SS. Let me just say that I hate this.

In other Twins news, the Winter Meeting rumors had us trying to be the third leg in a deal with SD and the Cubs to get Peavy to Chicago. I would have been in favor of giving up Kubel and some prospect arms, or maybe one of our back end starters and some prospects, to get DeRosa on a one-year rental and Kouzmanoff for 3B. Looks like it's all falling through, though. My guess is the Pads were looking for more than any of the third teams were willing to bear.

The Twins have been mentioned on various other relatively immaterial possibilities, too, including going after SS's from the Phillies and Pirates (that's apparently not happening - witness the title of this post).

I continue to believe we have the ability to get some impact guys loose from teams, if we just dangle Kubel or Cuddy out there packaged with someone like Perkins. But Delmon remains the central focus of all rumors regarding individual trade bait from the club. As noted last week, I think that's both not smart and not surprising.

In other non-surprises, the Yankees paid enough to bail out Circuit City to land Sabathia, so he'll be back to tormenting us in the A.L. They're apparently out looking at every other highpriced free agent on the market, too.

God, I hate being a Twins fan during the offseason. Although we did refrain from giving Casey Blake that dreaded third year and lost him to the Dodgers. I see that as probably a win of a loss. Still and all, we haven't done anything at this point to address our needs, and nothing looks imminent. I'll try to be patient.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

MCA - I'd like you to edit the Twins chapter in the upcoming book I'm writing called "Thank you for Participating." I've bounced it off RTS as well, basically I'd like you to cover off on how as fans we are the Bert Blyleven's of sportsdom.

This baseball offseason will be no different than any other offseason or trading deadline. We'll shrug our shoulders and ask how we take 2 steps forward and 2 steps back by the time it's all said and done.

I'd rant about Punto (the head-first slides, the pouty look, the defensive gem, the non-clutch hitting) but I won't.

Word is that Beltre had a no-trade clause for the Twins put into his contract specifically to force us to buy him out of it if we want to try to sign him.

The Yankees - I respected CC in Cleveland, I was glad to see him go to the Brewers and I had fun watching him there. When I heard at first "Dodgers" for him, that was fine by me - but, Yankees? I now have to hate him.

Have the Mets called Aggie too?

December 11, 2008 at 7:43 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

I have had to hear about the Yankees dealings all day everyday from the Yankee superfan over here. They could add CC, Ben Sheets and Burnett to their rotation this year. In addition they are trying to trade Melky Caberra to the Brewers for Mike Cameron and expect the Brewers to eat some of his salary. Now if I am the Brewers I tell them to go pound it in their ass about eating salary after what they just gave CC, but I am a vengeful kind of guy.

Since the Twins have nothing going on, I am reduced to rooting against the Yankees. Oh, don't get me wrong I did look up Ty Wiggington when I heard the Twins were interested in him. Then I saw he was the Astros 3rd baseman. We all know how it turned out last year when we signed away the left side of the Astros infield. The chip on my baseball shoulder grows bigger everyday.

December 12, 2008 at 7:57 AM

 
Blogger BG said...

Can't really add much, other than I can't believe we just paid Punto this much. We were clearly bidding against ourselves, right? If he can be the "pirahna"-type spark he was in '06, that's great. He's just not a serviceable, every-day hitter.

And yes, that Padres/Cubs/Twins deal had me drooling, but apparently the Padres were too greedy.

I hate the yankees...and I will laugh in 3 years when CC weighs 340, has a limp noodle of an arm and a 5.40 ERA. The yankees are a joke...and as long as they have A-Rod on the team, they won't win a thing. Sheets is overrated too.

Feels good to vent.

December 15, 2008 at 2:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home