The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

August 29, 2008

NFL Odds and Ends

Guys, in an attempt to ease my angst related to the Twins right now, I figured I'd lob in a quick post on the NFL. We're still a week away, but I am definitely excited for the start of the season. I am also (along with RTS, I'd assume) anxiously awaiting the start of the college season tomorrow, although the week one matchups leave a lot to be desired.

Couple items:
1) I need a cold shower and some smelling salts, because the Vikings hype has gotten out of control. In another sign of the apocalypse, Dr. Z from SI (yes, I am a subscriber to the hard copy magazine), picks the Vikes to go 13-3 and lose to Philly in the NFC championship game. Really?

2) As you probably know, former Viking Daunte Culpepper is still looking for a job, which surprises me. Theories vary on this one, but it seems that his unwillingness to take the league minimum to be a backup is the prime reason he's still unemployed. Another theory is that because he doesn't have an agent, teams are hesitant to deal with him directly. In any case, I found his open letter to the fans (via ProFootballTalk) pretty interesting...and surprisingly well-written.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/29/an-open-letter-from-daunte-culpepper/

3) Thought everyone might enjoy this oldy, but goodie, again to lighten the mood.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

BG - classic Minnesota Vikings video. How right they were with Williamson.

I saw the same thing on the Vikes expected to go 13-3 online and wondered who in their right mind would put us at 13-3. Now I know.

I am going to take pictures next Monday at work of the AJ Hawk jerseys around the office. Way too much hype. I don't know why people won't admit that we could start the season 0-2.

September 2, 2008 at 9:19 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Just in case you were wondering who made the Vikings practice squad, courtesy of fanball.com:

The Vikings signed eight players to their practice squad on Sunday, including running back Albert Young. Wide receivers Jaymar Johnson and Darius Reynaud, guard Brian Daniels, center Tim Mattran, defensive end Martail Burnett, defensive tackle Leger Douzable, and cornerback Marcus Walker were also signed, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.

For the record I did not post this because Young is from Iowa.

September 2, 2008 at 9:37 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

I just read the Daunte article, and was both surprised by how well it was written and shocked that Daunte continues to try to negotiate a deal for himself when clearly no team wants to deal with him without an agent. He asks that his body of work is allowed to speak for him, actually pretty impressive numbers at first blush:

Passing Career to date: 21,091
Passing yards, 137-TD, 89-INT, QB Rating 90.8

Rushing Career to date: 2,496 Rushing yards, 30-TD

But, with small hands, no Randy Moss, and a knee surgery, I wouldn't give him anything more than minimum salary either.

Why don't the Vikes pick him up?

September 2, 2008 at 12:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home