The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

April 1, 2008

Throwing A Small Wet Blanket

Kudos on Win No. 1 last night to the Twinkies. I know we've had this discussion before, but I wanted to point you all to this article: http://www.aarongleeman.com/2008_03_30_baseballblog_archive.html#6074872841636627859

I didn't realize, in our past discussions, how significant Kubel's knee injury was - it basically wiped out a season and half of his career, and he was our top hitting prospect at the time. He's only 26 this year, plenty of time to make an impact yet, and only has two seasons in the majors, in one of which he was still hobbled by knee problems. Gleeman makes a compelling argument that he was the best hitter on the team the second half last year. Now's the time to give him 500 plate appearances and see what he can do over the course of the season. I've said that if he doesn't start to reach expectations, perhaps we need to start wondering if he ever will, so let's figure it out now, while we're not contending for anything.

So, what did Gardy do last night, against a guy that lefties crush? Started right-handed hitting Craig Monroe.

Watch this theme this season. Why do we refuse to get Kubel at-bats? He's young. He's clearly a better hitter than Monroe, who has a limited ceiling. Our lineup could start righty-lefty-righty-lefty-righty-lefty. In two years, if Gomez matures into what he might be, that's one of the best top 6 lineups in the game, all in their prime together. How does Craig Monroe fit into that?

This is RonDL all over again.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Great breakdown on Kubel and what he can bring to the team at the plate. I, for one, have never liked him. I think it is part to his grumpy demeanor but I guess I would look that way too if I was having the trouble he is with the threats to his career. With that said, I didn't like the Monroe signing either. I understand that we brought him in after an "off year" (putting it mildly) with the Cubs in hopes of a resurgance but if this squad is either going to rebuild this year or give us a vision of the future then Kubel needs his at-bats. Plus, considering how we like to develop talent and then trade it away, we might actually get something for him one day.

However, what I love about baseball is that you can't argue with the numbers and Kubel's production (particularly at the end of last year) would say he should be the man we go with.

I'm going to predict that Monroe is going to get another game or two before switching back to Kubel at the DH spot and that Monroe becomes the poster boy for this team's inability to bring in "hitters" and is a waste of $3M.

April 1, 2008 at 11:48 AM

 
Blogger LH said...

Fun game last night... Speedy Gongomez looked very good, Everett just missed the left porch on a would-be grand slam ( but man does he swing the bat light) and I loved the Hunter strikeout in the 9th.... Welcome back Baseball.

While I too would like to see Kubel get more at bats, I think we're putting the cart before the horse and already writing off Monroe as a Rondell w/o giving him a chance. I think it's worth seeing what Monroe can do...there are times when players can have a bad year and then bounce back and be productive..He's only 31 (Rondell was 35 last year if you're curious)..I'm not saying that is going to happen, I'm just saying that for a small/mid- market team you have to take chances on maybe guys. Monroe was available for the right price, and if he can somehow get back to what he did 2005 or 2006(.255 28hr 92RBIs,.783 OPS- which would have made him the 5th most productive TWIN last year)he could be useful. I know that is a big IF, but trust in Gardy that he knows what he's doing, if Monroe does become another Rondell or Batista we cut him loose, but we have to give him a chance- and 2 to 3 games is not a chance.

Neshek scared the hell out of me last night when he was pitching to Vlad... he was way off on his spots..and left a belt high cutter right over the middle of the plate.. I know it's very early in the season, but I'd like to see him at least be within the general vicinity of Mauer's glove

April 1, 2008 at 12:43 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

MCA, great blog find. I need to bookmark this guy. Given that Kubel hit the game-winning homer against the Yankees when I was at Yankee stadium, I like him more than Stenerud.

I just hope Gardy doesn't fall in love with Monroe just because he's a veteran and he probably raked against us back in Detroit. Definitely want to see if Kubel can make something happen.

April 1, 2008 at 12:55 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

Fair points, LH. I note that that .783 OPS from a couple years back, however, is (a) significantly higher than Monroe's career average of around .730, and (ii) essentially identical to Kubel's last year, even with the terrible first two months. Plus, Monroe blew chunks last year. I didn't quibble so much with picking him up - I just thought he would be seen as additional depth and a role playing vet/pinch hitter/give Delmon and others a day off guy.

Anyhoo, my favorite part of Opening Day '08 was to flip on the TV at 10:00 last night to the rebroadcast of the Sox opener and see them lose, and then promptly hear the Hawk...you can guess the ending to this...bitch and moan about a couple blown calls. I mean, seriously? It's GAME 1, dude!

Ahhh, how baseball does mark the years! Trees budding, birds returning, skirts being taken out of the closet, and Hawk Harrelson grousing about umpires.

April 1, 2008 at 3:07 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

well said... here's hoping (I'm currently lifting up a bottle of water at my desk in the customary cheers position... or is it really water?) that Kubel continues where he left off next year and begins to make good on all of the promise that he has... for his benefit as well as ours.

Boof looks thin... but it doesn't appear to be helping his pitching

April 1, 2008 at 8:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home