The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

March 26, 2008

When does Punto get sent down?

If you were Gardy, when do you stop giving Punto the benefit of the doubt and come to terms with the fact that the 2006 season was a fluke and he is actually a horrid hitter? With all the players in camp this year and the questions with the rotation (let alone what is happening in the outfield), I get the fact that Punto is the de facto utility infielder for the foreseeable future but for how long do you go with this? Here is a guy hit .290 in '06 and basically caught fire during that improbable run but hit .210 last year (which would have made Minnie Mendoza proud.) He's hitting .125 this Spring?!?!? Seriously? Harbinson is hitting .250 for the Wells Fargo Walleye in the softball league and there are rumors he is getting optioned to Target Trout but Punto is gonna be around Opening Day? If I were Gardy, my leash would be May 1st.

5 Comments:

Blogger BG said...

It's kind of sad to see one of the original "piran-yas" (as Ozzie would say) degenerate into a AAA level offensive player. Just like seeing Harbinson turn in is HP-12C to the Wells Fargo squad in favor of an all-red Target uniform...

Maybe Punto will be better as the Al Newman of this team...not sure how Al's offensive numbers were, but I'm guessing better than .125.

March 27, 2008 at 12:47 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

AAA level offensive player? I'd say AA. Couldn't agree more with you guys, though. We sent down Span or Humber (or Perkins or some other pitcher) in order to keep Punto on the major league roster? Yuck. The only reason I can see doing so is that he can fill in defensively at more positions than anyone else. If Gardy limits him to late inning defensive substitutions, fine, but it still seems like a waste of a roster position. Span will be up at some point this year; why not do it now?

March 27, 2008 at 1:53 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

First of all, I would never turn in my HP-12C (platinum edition by the way)...it's going with me to the grave along with my first trapper keeper and my teen beat magazine collection...somethings are just too important to give up...

Punto as the new Denny Hocking...seems about right.

This is why I love the internet. I couldn't remember Hocking's name so I typed "broken finger during baseball celebration a's twins" into the Search box on Yahoo and the following link came up-- complete with his picture included...I love the internet

http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20021006&content_id=151246&vkey=ds2002news&fext=.jsp&c_id=null

March 27, 2008 at 8:43 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

During that Twins post-celebration, I remember everyone in the lockerroom jumping around and pouring champagne on each other and then someone interviewed Denny who just complained about how he hurt his finger and he was pissed a Jacque Jones or someone. Team spirit!

March 28, 2008 at 8:05 AM

 
Blogger LH said...

Seriously...a little broken finger shouldn't get anyone down. I remember that story you told me Jan, about breaking your hip while celebrating the 15th consecutive victory of the Young Republicans at your H.S.'s Presidential race.... when they wheeled you out on stage to celebrate, did you say you were mad at Jacques Jones? No you didn't... You picked up that stuffed elephant and cast it up into the air...that my friend is insipiration.

March 28, 2008 at 10:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home