The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

March 17, 2008

Gopher Hockey Brush with Fame

Last night the wife and I were at our local sports bar, Bunny's, to catch Game 3 of the Gopher/Mankato State WCHA playoff game. The 3 game series was pretty crazy overall and Game 3 was no different (after this series Kangas is being heralded as the next Stauber, the Zacharias kid from MSU was unreal too.) Anywho, during the 2nd period Tom Pohl took a nasty elbow to the head along the Gopher bench which knocked his helmet off and sent him rag-doll style to the ice. Looked horrible and one of those "can he move his legs" falls (couldn't find the video, he is apparently alright.) As we were watching the replay a guy comes over and says "Who is it that is hurt?" As I was saying "I don't know" I looked up and there he was in all his hockey glory - Lou Nanne. Granted that is where the brush with fame ended and I didn't get him to tell me any stories from his Gopher or North Star days but to think that Lou Nanne asked little ole me a question, wow.

2 Comments:

Blogger MCA said...

jan, I have a feeling you should ask your f-i-l if he knows Nanne. I seem to recall my pops knowing him fairly well (for a pseudo-celeb). Could be a WCC connection.

Anyway, good story. Sorry I missed the games this weekend. DVR'ed Saturday's, just never got a chance to watch. Sounds like it was a classic series. Good for MSU for being good, too.

March 17, 2008 at 12:33 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

As I asked Jan this weekend: "Wait, MSU Mankato plays hockey?" Great that they have arrived with the likes of the U, UMD and St. Cloud. Amazing that our state has 4 solid Div. 1 programs.

March 19, 2008 at 11:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home