The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

April 1, 2008

Throw Your Hands Up in the Air

and wave them like you just don't care because the Twins are 1-0 on the season. Great game last night. Considering we are picked to be in the cellar of the AL Central it's nice to see the squad go out and compete against a very good Angels team. Wow there were a lot of new faces, something like 6 of the 9 position players were new.

Highlights -
  1. Go-Go's debut. Just fun to watch this guy play. No doubt there will be a number of times we shake our head this year as any 22 year old is bound to make mistakes but we finally have an answer to Curtis Granderson's speed. 2 steals? Niiiiiicccceeee.
  2. Livan. This is why they brought him in. He was slow and methodical. His 57 mile an hour curve/eephus pitch that dropped from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock was nutty. Granted I was pumped about Felix Ortiz's 3-0 start last year but. . .
  3. Neshek. His strike out of Vlad was clutch and ballsy. The high heater he floated at Vlad's head to 'brush him back/knock him down' may have been an accident but getting him to strike out wasn't.
  4. Twins fans cheering for Torii. I did hear some boo-birds and I hope people sitting next to those dolts punched them in the face.

2 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Sacttered thoughts as I write this over and hour and inbetween orders...I actually taped the game and then watched it late night. Great game. Gomez was fun to watch and all I could think about was "speed kills." The bunt and then the stolen base that followed was awesome. I fast forwarded through most of the the Angels at bats so I can't comment on Livan too much other than he really only had the one bad inning where he gave up all those singles.

I found out Everett is from Austel Georgia which is like 2 miles from my house. His parents are either from the trailer park or made a huge sum of cash selling of their land so that developers could build the houses that transplants like me now live in.

Glad to see the fans embrace Hunter. I remember when Lawton came back after being traded and the crowd booed him.

Opening day could be interesting in a few years. I did not realize that is what MPLS looked like right now, sorry memory loss I guess.

April 1, 2008 at 10:03 AM

 
Blogger BG said...

Dudes,
Great times...unfortunately, I forgot to record the game, so I am basing all of this on written accounts.

1) Following the game online was hilarious because literally 7 out of our 10 players had that little goofy mug shot in another team's cap! It was so weird seeing Rays, D-backs, Mets and Astros caps on all the guys.

2) Great quote from Neshek in the Strib today: "I couldn't drive to the Dome in my car -- it's an old Firebird with rear-wheel drive," said reliever Pat Neshek, a Brooklyn Park lad. "My mom had to drive me early in the afternoon in her Jeep Liberty." Awesome...love that his MOM DROVE HIM TO THE GAME!

3) Love the knock-down pitch by Shiek.

4) Love the warm reaction from the crowd. Torii rules...any of us would have done exactly the same thing. Appears he still chases too much high heat - great to see Nathan whiff him in the 9th.

5) The whole night I kept thinking: "if we can just get 6 decent innings from our starters, we have a chance." Getting 7 was a bonus. Didn't realize Livan had never pitched in the AL.

April 1, 2008 at 12:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home