The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

November 27, 2007

Cheating?

To cover the 14 miles between my house and my office, it takes me 45 mins to an hour. Until recently, I had a carpooler to chat with. I am now carpoolerless, but I have discovered the world of books on tape. Let me tell you it sure beats the wacky morning DJ shows and it is not as aggravating as talk radio. My question is this, are books on tape a form of cheating? If we were to debate Atlas Shrugged and you were to find out that I had not read the book but merely listened to the tape, would this influence your opinion of my points? If I listened to Hamlet for a college class instead of actually sitting down and reading it, would this be cheating?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin' but not sure what that gets you.

Can't really argue that you were "cheating" if it was a debate you; I find the History Channel much more compelling that some history books I've read and I don't discount their accuracy because it's on t.v.

Now, if the assignment was, "Read Chapter 1 of Hamlet"; then yes, listening to a tape is cheating (both cheating the class/teacher and cheating yourself of a story about a king going a coo coo for coco puffs)

November 27, 2007 at 12:53 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 27, 2007 at 1:11 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 27, 2007 at 1:13 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Now I purposely choose Shakespeare for my example because it has been picked apart to no end and if you have a different interpretation from the norm, you are wrong. So by listening to it instead of reading to it I would not be missing out on my point of view. Make sense? Probably not.

and rubbin' is racing.

November 27, 2007 at 1:14 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Never heard the NASCAR version of "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'"; now I have.

Are you saying that it wouldn't matter if you read or listened to Hamlet because you are only allowed one point of view anyway?

November 27, 2007 at 2:21 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Maybe not one, but definitely limited to what the scholars have already decided.

I hate to tell you but your cheatin' comment was uttered by a NASCAR crew chief. So you lost me there.

November 27, 2007 at 6:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home