The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

September 16, 2010

"I Hate the Twins"


OK, I couldn't find the Chicago Tribune from a couple days ago that had the picture of Buerhle and that quote but just love the fact that it is apparent we are in their heads. Twins take the first of 2 in a do-or-die series with the Southsiders, both in convincing fashion. Yes, the ball bounced right our way a couple times last night, we've had our share of games where it doesn't so. . . Pivotal moment for me was Jesse Crain in game 1 on Tuesday night striking out Konerko and Manny back-to-back with the bases loaded. Favorite moment was during Tuesday night's broadcast when the Twins went up 9-3 and the camera showed the fans leaving the stadium en masse and Blyleven said "Bye fans!"

Like Howard said this morning, clinch it like you own it.

Hey, Tapani, enjoying the ride yet?

BTW - Mauer collected his 1,000th hit on Tuesday night. That's his 1,000th hit in his 827nd game. I Heart Joe Mauer.

Do you ever get tired of seeing AJ get punched?

3 Comments:

Blogger BG said...

This is all just beautiful. I hope all this talk isn't too premature, but it would take a colossal meltdown at this stage to lose the division. I think we need to really start focusing on Home Field Advantage. We're only a game behind TB/NYY in the loss column...

I agree with Howard. If/When we clinch, let's act like we've been there before, because we have. In fact, this would be our 6th division title in the last 9 years, I believe.

BTW, how great is it to have Duensing pitching lights out right now?!?

September 16, 2010 at 1:39 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

I'm a little torn. Obviously, I want to finish strong and be sure we at least have home field in the ALDS. While having home field for the ALCS would be great (especially if it were against the Yankees), I don't want to overburn to get it. You've got to win the first round just to get there, for one thing. But more importantly to me, I want to get some guys some days off (without resting them so much they lose the flow). Liriano's thrown 180 innings plus the 50 or so from the Dominican winter league. That already scares me for next year, but if we play a couple playoff series we're potentially adding another 20-25 innings on top of that. I'd like to limit him to one more start if possible, then let him get some time and make sure he's not dead armed going in to the playoffs. Similarly, I'd like Pavano to skip a start if possible. Mauer should be DH'ing or sitting every other game coming home. Thome should be resting his back. Let Punto and Casilla man the middle against teams like the Royals - they'll be playing a bunch of callups we should beat, anyway, and we need Hudson and Hardy to be nagging-injury-free.

Do we go 4-man rotation for the playoffs? I assume the Duens has earned the third spot - who's 4 right now? One could actually make a case for Blackburn. I know, weird, right?

September 16, 2010 at 2:37 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

mca - I like the caution with getting guys rest but we're winning, winning begets winning, momentum is momentum keep your foot on the gas. guys are gonna have to play hurt (obviously pitchers ain't gonna do much if they can't throw but thome can get a couple vicodin if he needs too.)

September 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home