The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

February 10, 2010

Con v. Less Con - The 2010 Winter Olympics Edition


In an effort to change things up, RTS and I have decided to try a "Point/Counterpoint" style repartee. We called it "Con v. Less Con" instead of "Pro v. Con" as we both are generally malcontents but we do try to see the two sides of every issue. If you're keeping score, "Con" = RTS and "Less Con" = Jan.

Topic Du Jour: The Vancouver Olympics start Feb 12th.

Do you care or should we care?

Less Con:
We should care and here's why: the Olympics represent what the world should be like. It's one of the few times that people put aside their differences and become "sportsman," "teammates," "patriots" personified. While I find the whole prostitution of the International Olympic Committee by big business and bigger governments to be tragic it is more a sign of the times than anything else. Also, to it's credit and it's detriment the Olympics have tried to evolve with the times and we find ourselves watching "The Flying Tomato" pulling a double McTwist 1260 and wondering what that just was but who cares it was cool. Do I watch the medal count? Sure, I want the U.S. of A to do the best but it's more than that. At the end of the day it is about the people, the amateur athletes competeting and for me there is always someone who has taken on whatever tragedy has befallen them in their lives (100x worse than what I will ever encounter) and persevered to compete on the Olympic stage and it gives me hope and makes me feel like anything is possible. What's so wrong with that?

Con:
I guess nothing if you like being the sucker of grandiose marketing schemes. It once was what you allude to with the sportsmen, teammates and patriots concepts. Let’s face it, those days are gone. Those days disappeared when they started letting the pros play basketball and hockey. In addition the 24 hour sports networks have killed the mystique of the Olympics. One used to have to wait every 4 years to watch these sports that can only hold ones attention for a couple of days every 4 years (and that might be stretching it). As it is now I can tune in and see the same snowboarders and aerial acrobatic skiers on ESPN 2, Versus, probably MTV and maybe Spike TV on any given Saturday. In fact I get mad when they are on, because it means Pro vs. Joes or classic college football is not. Even the premiere event, hockey, was done better by the NHL when they had the North America vs. the world concept for the All Star game. When was the last time the NHL did anything better than anyone?

Would you dissuade your child to grow up to be an Olympic athlete?

Con:
No and I would be excited if my daughter achieved that level of success. In my under educated opinion I think there are several levels of Olympian. At the top of the Pyramid you have the Pros. No one is going to argue if you are in the NHL you are not a Pro. Then you have the middle level, the people who do this for a living and make a fair amount of money competing and through sponsorships. Those would be your the skiers, figure skaters, snowbaorders and the like. Then you have the lowest level the bi-atheletes, curlers and snowman builders. That is a medaling sport now right? These people I am guessing don't make squat and only play their respective sports part time. Where I am going with this is yes I would be proud, but lets not pretend the people on TV in prime time are true amateurs as they are portrayed. Since you brought it up, I am curious as to what circumstances you would play the dream shatterer?

Less Con:

Of course I would be excited if my daughter achieved Olympian status. First of all, short of working a pole or a corner she can do no wrong. Second, if she was that dedicated and committed to a sport (even if it is the biathalon) and represented the United States of America I can't imagine being more proud as a father. The thought of her dressed in red, white, and blue and coming out to our national anthem? C'mon. Third, I'm gonna go out on a limb and make the assumption that if she were to be an Olympian she is most likely accomplished in other areas or her life (i.e. probably going to be a doctor etc.) and of course who doesn't want a Harvard trained doctor in the family. I'm not playing dream shatterer under any circumstances, now dream "guider" is a different story.

Is there anything you want to see specifically and what obscure sport might you watch if given the chance?

Less Con:
Specifically I'd like to see the US hockey team win the Gold medal. Not because of trying to recreate the impossible in 1980 but for the shear fact that hockey would peak interest on a national level and give us a shared story for the games. I would also like to see some Curling - my aunt is a National Champion in Curling (no lie) and I love the fact that they're all from the Range and/or Bemidji.

Con:
Way to go out on a limb picking the 2 sports that hit home close to the Minnesota iron range. I am surprised you did not pick the opening ceremony. I want to see the USA win a medal in something we have no business winning a medal in. Something we normally get smoked in such as the previously mentioned biathalon. As far as obscure sport I am going with the ski jump, that takes flat out balls. Like a NASCAR race, I will be waiting for a crash.

One last jab back to the previous question, I have a hard time seeing you committing to driving your daughter everyday in the wee hours of the morning to parade stadium for ice skating practice but I digress.

6 Comments:

Blogger BG said...

Fellas - I love it! We should try different combinations of con, less con during the year.

Couple thoughts:
I think Con nailed it when he alluded to the fragmentation of media. In 1980, you watched the events live to find out who won, and then you read the recap in the paper. Now, everything is tape delayed, and if I check ESPN.com at work before driving home, I can find out who won that "night's" downhill race, or curling match, or whatever. It's just not the same. We got into the summer games a little bit because of Phelps, but we are nowhere near the fans that, say, FOB Shaffer and Mrs. Shaffer are, because nothing seems to be as suspenseful when you know it's tape delayed and packaged for prime time television.

In terms of the sport I'd love to see us medal in (and that I like to watch): Bobsled. Have we ever won gold? I mean, the Swiss, Germans, Russians and even the Jamaicans, seem to dominate us. Why?!? Probably because that knob Herschel Walker was able to make the team...that's how bad our program is.

Oh yeah...you know Lindsay Vonn is from Minnesota, right? And in typical MN fashion, she injured herself in practice and may not be able to ski. Awesome...

February 10, 2010 at 11:20 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

Terrific work, dudes.

I was really looking forward to Vonn cementing her status as greatest U.S. skier ever, but I guess we'll have to wait for her to win a couple more World Cup overall titles.

I'd love to see us medal in anything on cross-country skis, just because we never do and it would show extreme ability and dedication on the part of anyone who could come through the nonexistent U.S. Cross-country ski infrastructure to become a world champion.

I want us to lose on all the snowboarding crap so that get rid of it. I have nothing against snowboarding, not in the least. But to squeeze a halfpipe competition into the Olympics (i) is degrading to the other events, and (ii) is contrary to the spirit of, and therefore degrading to, snowboarding as well. The idea of snowboarding is to have people talking after the day's over about the trick you pulled that no one else could, despite the fact you bailed 84 times before pulling it off. Not getting down the halfpipe twice without falling and getting quantified "scores" from d-bag judges. The winner is the one people shout "yeah, dude!" for loudest. This is all ESPN's fault, for trying to make a showboat contest into a televisable "sport." Then the IOC grabbed on to cynically appeal to American audiences. Yuck.

To give a medal for this and make it equal in value to the medals given for people who spend 15 years working out and skiing and skating and sledding and competing in races in quantifiable sports is an insult to those other athletes.

Not to mention this whole snowboard Chinese downhill thing. You can't just make up a whole new sport that no one even participates in and put it in the Olympics! It should have to build from the ground up. To be an Olympic event, there should be at least more than 20 people on the planet who actually compete at something on a regular basis.

I love me some curling. Ever since getting CBC in law school and watching the Canadian Nat'l Championships and Bonspiels, I've been a big fan. The aforementioned FOB Shaffer and I even went to an intro to curling event a couple years ago. We sucked, but it was a riot.

February 11, 2010 at 12:44 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

Con and less con, Well done guys. I felt myself continuously being drawn to both sides as the conversation progressed..


The Biathlon is my favorite winter olympic sport by far. Skiing and shooting, does it get any better than that? Well yes, yes it does. As some of you on this blog undoubtedly know for the past 12 years I've been writing to the Association for Skiing and Shooting, or, as you all probably know it better as, ASS, with my ideas of improving the sport. In summary, I see two things wrong with the sport as currently strucutured under ASS: 1.)Why just shoot at targets? This is the 2000s I think we can step it up and have the contestants shoot at live game, if not people who we deem as expendable and 2.) How come know one is shooting back at them? Wouldn't a little live gunfire make their feats all the more impressive given the added pressure?

Thankfully, I see these 2 changes as relatively minor, because when you have a sport that makes as much sense as the Biathlon (ski as fast as you can, stop and shoot a rifle, get back up and ski as fast as you can again for god's sakes man it is a race), it's hard to think of ways to improve upon it.


Looking forward to more con and less con

February 11, 2010 at 5:58 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

By the way- Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Vonn. How cool is it that the best female skier in the world right now spent her formative years at Buck Hill?
Go Vonn

February 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 12, 2010 at 3:00 PM

 
Blogger drinkingtommykramer said...

curling. get involved in the curling. Last olympics we decided to just dive into it, and it was hilarious. why not get exicted about a bunch of northern minnesotans pushing a big puck with a broom? if they care so much, so should we.

theres nothing commercial in that, rts. perhaps there shoudl be

February 12, 2010 at 3:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home