The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

April 20, 2009

Twins Happenings 4/20 Edition

Let's get jan's mug off the top of the page, shall we?

1. Sweep of struggling/emotionally scarred Halos this weekend. I feel badly for them, to have personal tragedy piled on top of significant rotation injuries to start the season. They'll be fine, I'm sure. Good job by the Twins of taking care of business, I guess.

2. My boy hit for the cycle with a Grand Salami Friday night. Nice. If that kid can ever start to hit lefties, he'll be a star, I'm telling you.

3. Twins won every which way over the weekend - come from behind, blowout, close one. Saturday may have been the only W they've found so far. This team is still -18 in run differential. I'll note that's second worst in the Majors, and that we're somehow still .500, so as not to just whistle past the graveyard. This team could pretty easily be 4-10.

4. Ergo, we need Mauer back.

5. Raise your hand if you said Perkins would be the rock in the rotation 15 games in. No one? Certainly not this observer. Slowey finally had a good outing Saturday, let's hope he's getting warmed up.

6. We picked up a legitimate flamethrower off waivers in Morillo. Apparently he's hit-the-bull wild. Can Rick Anderson turn this guy into a strike-throwing flamethrower? I like the move - letting Humber go (assuming he doesn't clear) doesn't have a whole lot of downside, I think, and we could use someone who can come in and blow a few guys away at a critical 7th inning juncture. I'll also note that Nathan's not getting any younger and we'd better have an heir apparent closer figured out by 2011.

7. I want these uniforms from now on... http://www.aarongleeman.com/uploaded_images/morillodebut-703475.jpg

Classic look.

6 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

I have to admit running a household has eaten up a large part of my time. I completely understand why my dad had the disposition of the dad on the Wonder Years. I have follwed little of the Twins past checking the final score the following morning. That being said I am Ok sitting at .500. The primamry reason is that they have been playing some teams that annually give the Twins fits. Sure the Angels are down, but better to play them now than in June. I would like to see the Twins 2 games over .500 by the time we are done with Boston (1-1), Cleveland (2-1) and Tampa (2-1) but still would not be worried if we were .500.

What's up with Crede?

I like the jerseys as well. They should never bring these back:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1982/0705_thumb.jpg

April 21, 2009 at 8:22 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

1. Twinkies took care of bidness. That game on Friday was craziness. Come form behind, blowout, close one - I think that series will be remembered as pivotal later in the season (didn't hurt that Vlad was out as well, but hey, we didn't have Mauer.)

2. In Kubel I trust. In Cuddy I don't.

3. Glen Perkins is the early season surprise.

4. Didn't see the Morillo pick-up. Haven't heard much about him, any help?

5. I love the white throw back unis (and the blue ones, sorry RTS.) A note, if you remember it is the starting pitcher who gets to chose what the team wears at home so when Slowey is on the mound it is those white ones.

6. Crede is suffering at the plate, still like him in the field. Not sure what is going on but he does need to fix something.

7. I'll take being .500 right now. Would like a win tonight at Boston.

April 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM

 
Blogger MCA said...

Article on the Morillo pickup...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/43210232.html

April 21, 2009 at 10:51 AM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

They aren't chanting Morneau, they are chanting Moh-REE-yoh.

Not to Hijack the Twins here, but I noticed on the side of the MCA article that violent crime in Minneapolis is down. I had to check it out and it seems all is well. In the ATL there is a debate whether crime is on the rise. The Mayor and others in charge of the city claim that it is only a perceived crime wave. The residents feel as though they are under attack with no backing from the city. The difference of opinion seems to come from the fact that violent crimes are down but burgleries and theft are way up coupled with some high profile violent crimes. The people are a little tired of the city telling them that the crime is only perceived.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/02/08/intowncrime02083dot.html?cxntlid=inform_artr

April 21, 2009 at 12:00 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

I have to admit, I was shocked that we swept the Halos, even though they are struggling emotionally and physically right now. Great sound-bites from Torii over the weekend about how he is Angel now, but still loves the Twins and their fans...and he even mentioned how great it would be to finish his career at Target field. Unfortunately, his lack of clutch hitting and his age probably mean he will never be back.

I am a sucker for baby blue...I like both throwback unis.

April 21, 2009 at 1:11 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

RTS - you live in a city that had it's accreditation pulled for it's pulled school system, this crime debate seems par for the course. Honestly, people think Southerners are nothing but slack-jawed yokels for a reason. Note to Atlanta: you're not helping the perception.

April 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home