The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

June 5, 2008

I love the decription on pick #27

14 Minnesota Twins Aaron Hicks RF/RHP Wilson H.S., Long Beach, Calif.

In terms of tools, Hicks is one of the top three or four players in the draft. He's first-rounder as an outfielder and a pitcher. He is relatively unpolished, so he should take a long time to get to the majors. He's gotten by a lot on strength and bat speed for now. The Twins will have to work with him on his hitting approach. He has a chance to be a switch-hitting Andrew McCutchen, one of the top prospects in the minors.
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3412765&categoryId=2895263&n8pe6c=1

27 Minnesota Twins Carlos Gutierrez RHP Miami (Fla.)

Now this is the biggest surprise of the first round so far. Gutierrez is another college closer whose fastball tops out at 94 with sink. But he doesn't have a viable second pitch, not even a breaking ball. I don't think a team should take a player with only one pitch in the first round. But the Twins have always had success with power arms out of their bullpen.

2 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

I am not a baseball scout, I do not play one on TV nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. That being said here is my 2 cents, when they say that the #14pick is long way away from the majors that they mean he will get there after he grows pubes and has to shave. I swear the guy looks like he is 10. Regarding the other guy, I would not say that is the sweetest write up ever. If this were the Vikings I would be worried, but this is the Twins so I am keeping the faith.

June 5, 2008 at 6:19 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

How great is the beginning of the highlight video on Hicks!?!? I expected to see Fred McGriff emerge in his not-so-broken in baseball hat touting his video and the back-to-back-to-back AAU champs. "This video gets reSULTS!" THanks, Crime-dog!

Honestly, as RTS alludes to, I trust the Twins when it comes to scouting. A 94 MPH fastball cannot be taught...a curveball can. As long as neither of these guys shows up to rookie league ball in fatigues saying that "they are ready to go to war" I'll be fine.

June 6, 2008 at 11:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home