The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

June 5, 2008

Baseball Draft begins today

Here I am at work today, sitting by the phone, waiting for the call, wondering which scout out there is going to have the foresight to use a late round pick on a thirty-something rookie with questionable athletic ability and limited skills, but who the term "Joe Hustle" was created. Which scout actually took the time to watch the scouting tape from my 1985 BC Little League Champion season, and realize that this guy might just have a couple of good years left in him.

Twins have two first round picks (14 and 27), conventional wisdom is that they're looking for infielders... maybe that elusive 3rd baseman, and, as always pitching.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

LH - considering there are 50 rounds in the draft, you never know. I think you need an agent and considering I am an agent looking for a player to represent this could be a beautiful relationship (kind of like the time that one guy got chocolate in the other guys peanut butter and the other guy got peanut butter in the first guys chocolate.) I'd market you as the Swiss Army Knife pitcher (we'd have to come up with some story about you being from Switzerland) who had 8 tools to use on the mound and could hit for power. I'll call the Dodgers, they're in LA afterall. We can work out my % later on.

Since I didn't have a chance to catch the '85 BC Little League Championship Season (still waiting on the DVD in the mail) any insights into your contribution that season? Just so I know what I'm working with. I'm assuming a you pitched 21 games, went 20 and 1, had a 1.05 ERA, with 152 k's, and never walked anyone while hitting .850 with 72 HRs and no strikeouts.

June 5, 2008 at 2:19 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

Did Slowney just pinch run for Redman? If that was not a type-o on gamecast, then I think the Twins could definitely use LH's speed.

June 5, 2008 at 2:49 PM

 
Blogger LH said...

I love gamecast..how exciting is it to see "Incoming pitch has been hit in play" especially when Morneau is up?.. I love that.

I confess that I don't really have a firm handle on my stats from the 85 season (remember: that was pre-Bill James) but the numbers you laid out seem about right.... though I was more of a singles/doubles kind of guy (Mauer-like swing)..I actually had to wait until I was ~29 before I hit one over the fence in a competitive game...and at that it was softball. Please keep that between us- I don't want the scouts to get the idea that I screwed that sweet baseball swing by playing softball.

I'm going online tonight to figure out Dice-K's magic pitch...just to add another arrow in my quiver

June 5, 2008 at 4:00 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

I like that "quiver." I'm rethinking the Swiss Army Knife thing and starting to think that maybe we dress you up in a Robin Hood outfit - you'd have one of those hats with a feather sticking out, green pointy cleats, and a little goatee.

I'm seeing the marketing being something along the lines of "Luke Harbinson - He strikes out the rich and strikes out the poor." Got a little bit of work to do on that one still; on second thuoght maybe we should go back to the lederhosen and Swiss Army gimmick.

June 5, 2008 at 4:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home